V2 "Tight" setting sounds thin/shrill/nasally/gain

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randall_Rich

Reaction score
I just recently got my Randall V2 in good working order, and it sounds fantastic. I just have a few quick questions concerning the Tight/Loose switch. I have been messing around with all the controls and switches on the tube channel to tighten up the sound a bit and to give it a little more sizzle. My only problem is that when I switch it to the tight setting the sound loses a decent amount of gain and gets pretty nasally sounding midrange going on. Does this sound normal? It sounds totally killer on the loose setting but I'm having a hard time getting some top end sizzle going on without jacking the 5k slider up and it doesn't sound too good that way. The only tubes I haven't switched out in it is the power amp 12AT7. It currently has a JJ ECC81 in it, and the JJ's that were in the preamp sunded like total ***. They were also shrill and nasally sounding, which makes me think that the one remaining JJ is the problem. I have a new 12AT7 on the way (absolutely NO ONE carries 12AT7/ECC81 tubes in stock within a 50 mile radius of me). I ordered up a EH Mullard 12AT7 tube because they seem to have gotten the best reviews of the ones I read. Not too many choices out there for new 12AT7/ECC81 tubes. TheTubeStore.com only carries a handfull of brands for that tube. Sorry for this friggin novel.

In a short recap: Will replacing a junk/nasally/shrill sounding JJ allow me to use the tight setting without losing the low end and gain like it does now? I guess $12 and a few days from now I will find out when I get the new tube.

While changing the tubes will make a significant difference, I think the problem you are having w/ the Loose/Tight switch is more of how the tight switch changes your tone. That switch changes the value of a cap that gives a different feel and it?s possible that changing the cap to a lower value. Changing the cap will give you a little more low end in the Tight setting so it?s not as thin, but it will also loosen up a little and there will be less of a difference between the two options. I would suggest trying the different tubes FIRST and modding the amp as a last resort.

Also the V2 isn?t really going to really give you sizzle. Once again swapping tubes will give you a little more cut but it?s not going to get 5150/Corba fuzzy.

Man you are awesome.....where would I get schematics on replacing that cap?

I would also like to note...that my V2 sounds like single coils on the tight setting in comparison to the loose setting, and no where near as heavy as the clips you posted with the Amott V2.

This tight/loose issue isnt nothing new! The same thing happens with other amps... my Peavey has same switcher ... for nu metal/hardcore/hi gain music I always switch to loose... for lower gain for blues, jazz, soft rock/pop sounds I use tight switch...
Again ... V2 is awesome .... :) so many options!

Well lets just say I have my Sizzle problem solved. I now do not use the Tight setting or the Bright setting on the tube channel. I have found the perfect tube combo for my V2. I am now using the Groove Tubes Marshall High Gain Kit. It has 2 matched ECC83's and a Matched sections 12AX7. Oh my god the gain this thing has now is rediculous, and the sizzle my nizzle! I am also running a Tube Screamer through the front of the amp will all controls set at noon. To control every thing I have an NS-2 running after the Screamer and a Rocktron Hush Super C in the loop. I have found that my most of my problem was that this amp is pretty dark until you start cranking the master volume. I have the master volume set at almost 3/4 and I use the channel level to control my over all volume. With the volume up the amp gets the brightness I was looking for. Also....probably the best thing I did was put EMG's in my guitar. I swear I have no idea why I stopped using them about 6 years ago.

passive pickups will never cut it when going for all out heaviness :twisted: i strayed from emg's one time and i swear i'll never do it again

I never was one for EMG's, I like a little sizzle but not ear piercing. But I haven't played with EMG's in a couple years...