Dimebag Tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlingen

Reaction score
Which module would you say gets closest to Dimebags live tone? I'm looking for a MTS preamp that's over the top on gain, kinda tight and lots of high end also. I thought the 1086 might come close but it doesn't. Thanks in advance.

From what I've heard, the Ultra XL might. I don't know for sure because I don't have it, but that's my guess.

guitarguy510 said:
Nope, Modern is a different sound altogether, nowhere near the metal tone you're looking for! :)

What tone is Modern going for, exactly anyway? The Modern tone from Mesa amps? Or something totally different that I'm overlooking?

If so, how does the Modern tone differ from the Recto tone? Is the Recto tone the "Vintage" channel on a Rectifier?

I think the original Ultra is the closest to the dimebag tone i have heard, though the XL in my opinion is a better module.

Modern is kinda like a toned down recto, not as much gain on tap. I had one for a little while, it was decent but not really my thing so I sold it. If I want a "high gain" module, I WANT a high gain module! :lol: I would say pick up the Ultra XL if you want that Pantera sound.

I've tried all the high gain modules except the Ultra XL. I don't think any of them get that dime tone. His tone was just that cold raw solid state crunch. I have an old rack RG100HT that gets there. I run a Boss MT-2 up front with a graphic EQ in the loop and it sounds nasty, it's just a very noisy rig. I think I can get just as much gain out of my RM100 with the SL+ and it's way quieter, plus the lead tones are better. It's just an all together different tone being a tube amp vs. SS. The Krank is probably a closer match being that I heard that the preamp section sounds like a SS amp. That would be kinda wild if Randall came out with a solid state preamp module for the RM based on like the X2 Warhead. Don't know if it's possible but **** that would be crazy to have something that versitile. It would probably sound killer with a tube power section.

I think I'm going to sell my 1086 for a Ultra XL. I'll let you know what I come up with and hope to have some samples.

You'll hafta let me know how that works out when you get the ultra xl because I just got a 1086 and I don't see how it can get much better. But for that really gainy dimebag sound you'll want that seymour duncan dimebucker to compliment your guitar setup. I've heard a few of them and it provides mega volume and gain

guitarguy510 said:
Modern is kinda like a toned down recto, not as much gain on tap. I had one for a little while, it was decent but not really my thing so I sold it. If I want a "high gain" module, I WANT a high gain module! :lol: I would say pick up the Ultra XL if you want that Pantera sound.

That's really wierd since the Modern channel is the highest gain rectifier channel...hmmph.

On a RECTIFIER it may be, Bruce or whoever it was at Randall that named the module probably did so after what he thought was a modern high gain "tone." I don't think the Modern module has anything to do with a Recto. I was just saying to my ears it sounds like a lower gained recto-esque sound.

guitarguy510 said:
On a RECTIFIER it may be, Bruce or whoever it was at Randall that named the module probably did so after what he thought was a modern high gain "tone." I don't think the Modern module has anything to do with a Recto. I was just saying to my ears it sounds like a lower gained recto-esque sound.

Yeah, I figured that but the term has been around for about 16 years (since the Triaxis 2:90 combo) at Mesa and even they are a bit obscure about its real meaning.

I have a gibson 57' in the bridge position of my sl-3 jackson soloist. I have recently obtained the 1086 and it sounds a little weak for my tastes. I was wondering how much of a difference it would make if I put in a dimbucker in the bridge (I own one but I am too lazy to try it out without asking first). The dimebag tone is sounding really good compared to my experience with the 1086 so far. thanks

Actually the Modern module is supposed to be a "hot rodded class A" tone... not sure exactly what amps were the basis for that design, but definitely not a recto.

I haven't played the Ultra XL yet, but having owned the Ultra (and 12 other modules), I'll agree that Ultra is the closest I've heard to Dimebag's tone--it's not dead-on, but close enough for me. :)

--B

the ulta sounds great! i replaced my plexi with it for a mid gain channel. It give a smoother transition to my 1086.