Brown or Brahma??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

METALjim

Reaction score
Ok if you had the choice between a Brahma module and a Brown module for that amazing Van Halen sound which would it be?
I've heard a few guys say that boosting the Brahma will get you there and thats no problem for me as i have a ts9 but if you had to pick just one for that definitive VH brown sound which would you choose?

This is my dilema as i can only afford one or the other :cry:

I know there are a few posts out there about this but i thought this would get noticed quicker if i made a new topic as i need some opinions quick.

Thanks in advance.

never did have a Brahama, but I had a few Plexis- stock and pete modded. I don't feel the VH vibe with those modules at all, but my Brown (which was modded by a mysterious stranger) has a terrific early VH sound. and the Brown is hard to come by, so I'll vote brown!

I owned both.....and hands down is the BraHma with the OD. Listen to Fair Warning EDDIE tone and the pushed Brahma can NAIL it!
The Brown module seemed to mushy and dark sounding to me.

wow almost a landslide victory for the brahma then. I am a massive VH fan so i think i'll have to get the brahma.
Cheers guys apprieciate the input. :D

I never heard the Brown stock, but it rules when modded
The Brahama has me curious as well....I like Fair Warning 8)

i've had both..go with the Brahma with a boost infront!

Now for the boost-

I've tried many..Cusack Screamer,Boss OD, Tube Screamers... etc.but the BB Preamp make the Brahma shine! 8)

a friedmen modded Brahma is the way go.

funny side note...i get close with a grail as well. you have to dial it in...but i get real good fair warning type tones with it.

Jon from Funky Munky played my head and he'll attest to it.

Couple of my modded brown clips, post yours guys!

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/brown2.mp3

http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/brown.mp3

FYI, I think it sounds 'browner' in person, but good enough IMHO.

Pete

pete...sounds great as usual.

basically evh ran a plexi dimed. the variac gave it a touch different feel and sag, but a plexi type module ran with a boost or dimed and you'll get there.

try it with el34's to really get close.

Fawwwwwwwwwk Pete.... i wanted to hear more... lol

That sounded spot on... I think I may be sending you some modules... lol

RD/Steve said:
a friedmen modded Brahma is the way go.

funny side note...i get close with a grail as well. you have to dial it in...but i get real good fair warning type tones with it.

Jon from Funky Munky played my head and he'll attest to it.
Yup, got mine modded by Dave Friedman. Its my favorite module for overall tone. I use a modded out boss sd-1 for the boost. Just a SWEEEEET tone!!
8)

cheers for all the input guys. Think i'm going with the brahma and i'll see what kind of tones I can get out of it. Would love a brown module as well but just can't afford it. I'll have to post a clip when I get it and see if its as close as pete's.
I can tell you now it won;t be though.
Good to see so many Van Halen fans the guy is a legend. Just wish he'd play the UK sometime soon.

Thanks again! :D