rm100 solo boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippietim

Reaction score
what are you all doing for a lead boost? i'm going to try running a boost pedal in the series loop.

Isn't that what the 3rd channel is usually for...
For a lead boost I simply have a really high gain (single coil) pickup in the neck position and a nice articulate humbucker in the bridge. + I use a volume pedal.

dodvocivus said:
Isn't that what the 3rd channel is usually for...
For a lead boost I simply have a really high gain (single coil) pickup in the neck position and a nice articulate humbucker in the bridge. + I use a volume pedal.

I prefer to have all three channels usable for different tones and just use a boost for solos. This way I can have clean solos, crunchy solos, and gainy solos.

Yeah pick up a good designated boost pedal or even a Boss SD-1 or OCD and crank the volume knob to max put the gain a 0 to act as a clean boost! :D

MXR Micro Amp, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, or BBE Boosta Grande. All clean boosts and they work best in the effects loop. I have the Micro Amp and it works real well.

Xotic RC Booster. It is transparent, but it can add a slight touch of gain. It's a beautiful thing, especially for clean boosts.

Joel said:
Xotic RC Booster. It is transparent, but it can add a slight touch of gain. It's a beautiful thing, especially for clean boosts.

Have you used it in the loop of an RM100?

trendkill1168 said:
MXR Micro Amp, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, or BBE Boosta Grande. All clean boosts and they work best in the effects loop. I have the Micro Amp and it works real well.

So which of those have you used in the loop of your RM100?

ok, the Bad Bob Boost didn't work in the Randall RM100 loop. Activating the boost pedal cut the level dramatically. Same thing happened with the new CAE/MXR Boost/Overdrive:

1153457696_BOOST_OVERDRIVE_MC-402_463x342.jpg

Basically, neither of those pedals could handle the signal level from the RM100 loop.

I tried a few more pedals - the Barber Launch Pad was the top contender. The Klon was decent as well.

All of the boost pedal solutions suffer from the levels to the effects loop in the RM100 being controlled by the individual channel volume controls vs. the overall effective volume of each channel (which is the result of the channel volume + eq + gain). So the net effect is that the boost pedals become less effective as the channel volume control gets hotter the boost in terms of effective volume does not scale up.

I am going for a uniform boost across all channels so this isn't going to work.

I solved my problem in a very simple and effective manner. I've been running a low impedence Boss volume pedal in the loop. I set the minimum volume on the pedal to be my rhythm volume.

My only complaint is that the volume pedals is very big and I have to run two long audio cables out to my board. Soo....a fellow on the Huge Racks board is making me a box to do this so I can just use a standard on/off switch to toggle my levels.

check out the tc electronic vp1 and the tube factor by hughs and ketner. both offer 2 types of boost switchable by relay or footpedal. both are very expensive.