Great idea but seems toy like? Module thing.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keano

Reaction score
I can't help thinking that these are almost toy like. I am sure they come close but more like jack of all trades but not perfect? Very curious how they sound in a real club environment. the whole idea is attractive, great marketing but I still don't know. Kind of biased toward a modded JCM and having a second head. Feel free to sway my opinion. Do you guys have clips recorded with a 57 at decent volume? Would be interested to hear

I've used my rm100 with randall cab at a few shows now at think it sounds really excellent. There was a guy with a triple rectifier that was really curious as to what I was using because it sounded "mean" as he said. I had the same thoughts you did when I first read but it defenitely isn't a toy. And for me, with the modules, I treat them like starting places since you can mold so many sounds from the amp. Like I really like the SL+ because its got a broad range and has some really good gain. Just my thoughts but I think you'll be impressed.

thanks for response I was listening to the clips and was impressed with the SL+. how does the RM100 record in-house though?

I honestly haven't done any recording with it yet. I'm sure at least a few people have though. I can't imagine it being bad but ive got no proof to back that up. I just know you can get some excellent tones out of it live. And for the price you can find these used on the internet its reallllly hard to pass up.

Man I think I am going to do this mod Mark Cameron knows the Jose' mod (was the king of mods) does Doug aldrich guitar, Skyes and many others.

But I think I also will get a used RM4 or something like you said used can't be passed up

keano said:
I can't help thinking that these are almost toy like. I am sure they come close but more like jack of all trades but not perfect? Very curious how they sound in a real club environment. the whole idea is attractive, great marketing but I still don't know. Kind of biased toward a modded JCM and having a second head. Feel free to sway my opinion. Do you guys have clips recorded with a 57 at decent volume? Would be interested to hear

A toy? I guess that depends what you expect to achieve. A toy? what on earth do you mean? It sounds like you have pretty unrealistic expectations... Do you really think a $3000 odd preamp with all the modules will be able to perfectly imitate the $20,000+ worth of amps that they model?

Does the MTS series have a fair dig at it? Absolutely. Does the MTS series sound great in its own right? F*&k yeah!

How will it sound in a club environment? How does anything sound in a club environment? as good as you make it sound! Some of the worst live tones i've heard have been made with amps that have pretty substancial reputations... amps like a Bogner XTC. One the flip side i've heard tones that sound godly, yet were made with gear that is considered "low end", like a Fender BJ.

How does it record? Listen to the latest offerings by King's X & Hydrogyn, as well as the soon to be released Skid Row album. Michael Wagener who produced all three swears by the MTS series. He has the ears and a pretty extensive list of clientel... http://www.michaelwagener.com/html/discography.html

if versitility is what you need its the amp for anyone. Certainly not a toy or gimmick in my opinion, more along the lines of the future for most amps.
The proof is in the pudding and theres plenty of people on this forum that swear by them.

I didn't know about the new Skid Row being recorded with it. Do you have any info on Michael Wagener talking about it? I am trying to find a place nearby to try one out.

rooster from trailer trash pedal boards said micheal wagner is in love with them when i spoke with him.

keano said:
I didn't know about the new Skid Row being recorded with it. Do you have any info on Michael Wagener talking about it? I am trying to find a place nearby to try one out.

Yeah Michael has nothing but praise for the MTS series...

Here is a big thread with his comments. If you title search for the word "Hydrogyn" it will bring up another thread by michael which has many comments about the MTS series.

I hope I did this right, this should lead to a pretty large post by Michael with photo's. This guy has the gear, the talent and the credentials to warrant one whooping ego yet is probably one of the most down to earth blokes you will ever come across...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=703419&postcount=165

My singer has the RM100, and we have used it both in the studio and at gigs with great success. Is it exactly like having three different amps? No. But it does allow you a great deal of flexibility. The modular design is great, too, because if you don't like one of the channels, just get a new one.

BTW, the Wagener site is super cool. Thanks for the link.