Brahma

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crankyrayhanky said:
Mailman stop it, every time I'm on this board, there's another module that you proclaim as Almighty Holy Tone, and my wallet can't keep up!

yeah,you gotta watch those mailmen...they're EVIL! ...remember the opening first few minutes of the movie "Ace Ventura-Pet Detective"??? ...never seen a guy play "soccer" with a box better than that...LOL!!!

goldwing68nv said:
crankyrayhanky said:
Mailman stop it, every time I'm on this board, there's another module that you proclaim as Almighty Holy Tone, and my wallet can't keep up!

yeah,you gotta watch those mailmen...they're EVIL! ...remember the opening first few minutes of the movie "Ace Ventura-Pet Detective"??? ...never seen a guy play "soccer" with a box better than that...LOL!!!

That is when we read..." DO NOT BEND " Endorsed on the package......But it dont say nothing about CRUSH, MUTILATE, BURN OR RIP...... :D

JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Well I have a line on a *new* Brahma (sigh) and an email from Dave F...all I need now is the money ;)

You gotta wonder why Randall changed the specs in the production versions....maybe tweaks for George and/or to make 'em easier to manuf?

One things for sure, that funky c3 network has to be hand wired .. have seen quite a bit of RC wired in parallel on the modified circuits too...but not stock.

It is a WEIRD looking solder on that C3. Like to capacitors soldered together. I do wonder why Randall changed the specs?? it is SOOO KILLER sounding after Dave gets done with it. :shock:

Hey, you guys are getting me very excited about that Brahma module !!!

I'm very curious about those RC networks, could it only be the standard 470pF in parallel with a 470K resistor present in most Marshalls ?

I would really like to see a good hi res pic of both modified and stock modules :roll:

Keep on rocking !

Claude

Yeah I made the mistake and "dismissed" the Brahma when I first bought my Lynch box. BIG MISTAKE!! It is the best sounded Hair Metal "BROWN SOUND" you can get from that amp! WEll at least when its modded and boosted with a OD pedal! 8) Super clear HUGE SOUNDING crunchy distortion. It dont get much better that this boys......... :D

strato62 said:
Hey, you guys are getting me very excited about that Brahma module !!!

I'm very curious about those RC networks, could it only be the standard 470pF in parallel with a 470K resistor present in most Marshalls ?

I would really like to see a good hi res pic of both modified and stock modules :roll:

Keep on rocking !

Claude

It has that, plus an RC in series with it...although I'd have to check the values, I'd bet you are right.

Nice rolleyes..but not really appropriate to ask about mods is it ;) You're more than welcome to a photo of the stock module though

it takes a front end boost really well... I'm still givin the GTO it's "just deserved"... that explains it for me tho because I'm gettin killer 80's hair metal tones... with just right compression and attack.

Still though the Grail is very cool and really nails a JCM 800 vibe when the gain is somewhere in the 3-5 mark. The Scary is awsome for 80's hair metal lead tones... it too takes to the SLO.
Cheers
Craig

khingpynn said:
it takes a front end boost really well... I'm still givin the GTO it's "just deserved"... that explains it for me tho because I'm gettin killer 80's hair metal tones... with just right compression and attack.

Still though the Grail is very cool and really nails a JCM 800 vibe when the gain is somewhere in the 3-5 mark. The Scary is awsome for 80's hair metal lead tones... it too takes to the SLO.
Cheers
Craig

That is funny how some modules can take a front end boost and it ACCENTS it so wonderful where other Modules it will make it sound like CRAP! :?
But the Brahma turns into a Powerhorse when you run that OD in front of it that you would SWEAR was a VERY HOT RODDED MARSHALL(I have owned 4 of them as well) and when you take the boost off, you can get right into the SRV territory with this one. My Favorite (Modded and when boosted) Module by far. VERY versatile.

I heard back from Dave about the mod... his comments were ( not verbatim ) the factory mod has no gain... it will have gain after the mod. It will also sound like George's plexi like it's supposed to sound like... $50 for the mod... all other mods are $100.

I'm looking for better words to describe Dave's mod... I know it's supposed to sound incredible but from what i read over at the Lynch forum George prefers the stock Brahma thru the Lynch Box head and cabs over his actual Plexi. The other thing is the stock Braham has adequate gain for a plexi mod... plexis are not very gainy in the first place and most times players give the front end a boost with some sort of outboard device.

A sound sample would be great... hearing it would help out a lot.

I'm still not convinced that modding the Brahma is going to give me results that are better than I'm getting currently with the GTO in front of the Brahma... I also get great results from the BBE Green Screamer... actually this BBE is very much like GL's tone from his Plexi/Tube Screamer recorded tones. The Green Screamer does not have that mid hump most TS's have and it handles top end duties far better IMHO.. it has that Kiss of Death and even that Lay It Down top end sizzle/sparkle depending on how much gas you hit it with.

Anyone got any sound sample of Dave's handy work?

Cheers
Craig

khingpynn,let me try to clarify something...on what you said about Lynch liking for "stock" Brahma module over his real '68 Plexi,his "stock" Brahma module is NOT the same Brahma that comes "new" out of a Randall box.apparently somewhere along the line,in production,the Brahma is slighty changed on a few component "values".it's not a big deal,but once dave friedman does the mod to it,the component "values" are changed to the pre-production specs...once this is done,the bottom line is: some more gain & some more bottom-end! that's all.it wont be a huge change,but there is change.THE secret to the Brahma's tone is when it's "boosted" with a good o/d pedal.then it shines,and man it sounds sweet!!! whether you want to send a factory-spec Brahma module to dave friedman,for modding or not,it's not a "gotta-do-it" thing.it "enhances" the tone,yes...similar to the modwork of my furry-little friend Pete/okstrat.his mods "enhance" the core tone of an existing mts module...hope that helps boys! :) either way,it's a great module,boosted with an o/d pedal,right out of the box!!!!!!

Thanks goldwing68nv for taking the time... that clarified things for me perfectly.

I like the Brahma just as it is... nothing against Dave as I'm sure he does stellar work... the comments here are more than enough proof of that.

Cheers
Craig

u got it,mang! :D it really all depends on how much of a Lynch freak you are,like myself,to determine whether you wanna spend another $50 for the module to be 100% spot-on! (as opposed to 97%...lol!)

With the GTO and the Brahma I'm feelin the love 100%!!!

If I ever see a Dave modified Brahma up for grabs... I'll take a crack at it... then I'll be able to compare the both of them... side by side.

Cheers
Craig

If I could score one..I'd lend it to ya, just so I could hear some decent playing (i.e. not mine) through it :D

The Friedman mods are great!
I have his modded SL+ and top boost modules, and they just smoke the stock versions.
The sad part is I need to sell my entire rig. :(
RM100 and all.
Too bad I don't have 10 posts yet....

Here is the Brahma stock boosted with a BBE Green Screamer...
with a touch of chorus old school 80's style.

I recorded this track today with no overdubs it's a one off so there are some clams... hey I'm no George Lynch... LOL.

This is a similar tone to Under Lock and Key, the Second Lynch Mob disk and the DVD One Live night. Also with a small tweek it's Back for the Attack.

All comments welcome.

Gear Used

PRS CE22
Lynch Box
Zoom H4
BBE GS
Boss Chorus

http://www.guitarfromthegreengoo.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/ste-lynchjam0ne005.mp3.mp3

Sounds nice. Personally though I still can't decide if I really like this module. Maybe I have just, moved away from that tone.

I was on the Brahma love phase for a couple weeks and this past weekend went to the Dave Friedman modded Mr. Scary with a SD-1 in front and you would swear it was a Soldano. It was so KILLER sounding. I go from tone to tone module to module pending on the mood I am in. Thats whats so awesome about these MTS amps is that they really can DO IT ALL!!!! :D