Little shot of reality!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
Well the father of a kid I went to school with is a DJ and guitarist, but he decided recently to only do DJ gigs on the weekends so he was selling all his guitar stuff. I saw he listed his Line 6 POD XT Pro rackmount AND shortboard for only $625 (the XT Pro is $699 new and the board is another $269 I believe) so of course, I took it! Local pickup is a good thing, I had it last night right after I paid for it in the afternoon! I hooked it up through my Mesa 50/50 last night.... I was shocked. I was hoping the power section being all tube would help create some nicer, less sterile sounds. Last time I owned the POD XT Live I was running it through a solid state power amp and figured that's why it sounded lifeless... thinking now maybe I was wrong! :lol: I still have more tweaking to do and then maybe I'll come up with some usable presets, but playing through this setup until my M4 is ready will REALLY make me appreciate it that much more! The tone on the Egnater stuff is superb, going back to digital just hurts! :cry: I may, however, keep this XT Pro around if for nothing else recording and late night playing! :D The line 6 is still good for that! :wink:

BTW, anyone looking for a Mesa power amp? I'm going back to the VHT I think, the E34L power amp section of the VHT seems to fit my tone better than I remembered! :D

I use my GuitarPort almost exclusively at home (keeps the wife off my back). Just picked up a XT Pro as well with the plan of using it for FX only.

This way I can tweak FX at home with GP then transfer the settings at rehearsal to the Pro. Pro will also serve as a backup rig.

Ned have you tried using the POD XT Pro in effects only mode in the effects loop of the Randall stuff yet? I am curious if it colors the tone at all? Thanks bro! :)

guitarguy510 said:
Ned have you tried using the POD XT Pro in effects only mode in the effects loop of the Randall stuff yet? I am curious if it colors the tone at all? Thanks bro! :)

The XT Pro in the RM100 loop was sort of iffy. The XT Pro had a hard time with the levels for some things - it liked to clip a lot with certain things.

It gets here tomorrow but I've got a huge gig (4 sets) tomorrow night so it will be later this weekend before I can try it.

With my RM4 I don't use the FX loops - pre-loop out into FX into power amp.

I used a POD XT Live in the loop of my RM100 for effects last week. It was fine. The modules are a bit hot, though, so module volumes had to be down around 2-3 not to clip the POD. I set the amp master volume on 5-6 for stage volume level.

Joe

Seems like ideally you'd use a reamp box to convert from line level to instrument level before going into the Pod XT or Pod XT Live. If you have a Pod XT Pro, it already has line level inputs.

i have a rack-mount pod pro unit.the original,not the xt version and i run it thru a tubeworks 1160 mosvalve s/s power amp.it's great for lower level jams(i.e. bedroom use),but once you start cranking it up,it starts to thin out & lose that spunk.i've tried the pod pro through various hi quality el34 & 6l6 tube amps,but it still has that heavy digital processing vibe & doesnt capture that 100% tube magic.that's why i ended up buying my rm50hb.this randall mts head fits the bill for the higher volumes & full crankin' where the pod pro just doesnt shine its best.so,it's a little of the best of both worlds depending on the environment that i'm in at that particular moment......also,i have a pod xt "kidney bean" unit that i bought used off ebay and specifically use this unit for "effects" only.the amp modeling can be turned off.i can say that i have good results using it as an effects unit only.it is very transparent & i do not notice it color the amp's tone at all...