The right set of modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viet_Hetzer

Reaction score
I wil be buying RM4 and the matching power amp in the future, and I thought I had all my perfect modules picked out until I started reading about them on this forum. I have questions about them.

Can the Tweed, based on the fender Bassman, get nice and clean? Can I get a full, thick, warm, and also a ice cold edgy tone from it?

This is what I originally had picked out:

Tweed - for clean. If it can't do clean then a Blackface.
Plexi - for the overdrive and light bodied crunch, for you know, my "Bliss by Muse sound." Or Hendrix.
A XTC - for a bright hard rock, solo or even a rhythm tone (
And a Recto - for you know, that gnarly evil tone.

This is what I'm looking for:

Clean - Bell like, full, warm, plenty of mids (but not so much you can't scoop them), clean, and when overdrived, edgy. I need dynamics and the "Clean module" did not seem to stand up to that.

Something for overdrive/lightbodies crunch - Warm, and enough bass for a creamy tone, but I don't want it TOO thick. I want a module that I can boos the treble and mids, pull down the bass, and get a good cutting sound, but isn't ICE PICK, DIE EARS DIE. The plexi seemed perfect for this. The clips on the Randall website showed that it was smooth but still had some bite to it. Perfect examples are Hendrix's preamp distortions, Muses older stuff (like on OOS). Must work well when a fuzz pedal is smacked into it.

Hard rock/metal - Something with punch, and grind, and of course, must have a tight low end. I need something with a lot of crunch. Hot enough to possibly be used for metal, but nice enough for "rock." Nothing really over the top evil. Just balsy. I am not looking for what is described for the next module. I would think a SL+, or even a XTC, since both have a lot of top end cut and sustain. Noisy too.

Rawr - I need something to give me that roaring tight focused low end. You know, like in the Rammstein song Te Quiero Punta, or Keine Lust, when they really dig in the distortion makes this thick tight...it's hard to explain. And when you REALLY cut out the mids and boost the treble and bass, you get something like in Zerstoren or early rammstein (Du Hast) The Recto seemed like the right choice but I noticed that many people claimed it wasn't very tight, and I noticed that the sound clip on Randalls website was rather dull and loose. The Ultra seemed tighter. However, it could be many things, such as the mic, right? Or how they adjusted the power amp? I realize such a hot sound won't be super super dynamic, but I don't want a compressed Dimebag Darrel sound. Again, think of Rammstein. Dynamic but full of sustain and RAWR.

If there are any signature modules that would suit me better than the standard ones speak up. Since they don't cost too much more.

I'm looking for a basic set up, as of now I don't want a module that's actually two in one, unless I need more than 4 tones.

I ran another search and some people are complaining that their older modules give them a fizzy top end when they crank the gain up. If I buy new ones am I going to get any of this as well? Will I need to mod them? I know I ask too many questions D:

Thank you for reading my long post. I appreciate it.

I read the website that has a bunch of module mods. The high gain mod that tightens up the tone doesn't look to hard. I think I can do that. Maybe now I should get the recto and mod it for 'Rawr'

I second Scooters picks, good choices man! :D Maybe instead of the unmodded top boost, I would substitute the Plexi module, but that's just me! :wink:

Yeah the plexi sounds much better to me.

But honestly, I don't think any of the module clips sound good, everything seems so masked. The ultra XL sounded really smooth in this one recording, is it always so smooth/"covered in a blanket" I'm not doing much solos for the "rawr" I need something that will rip your face off.

Viet_Hetzer said:
Yeah the plexi sounds much better to me.

But honestly, I don't think any of the module clips sound good, everything seems so masked. The ultra XL sounded really smooth in this one recording, is it always so smooth/"covered in a blanket" I'm not doing much solos for the "rawr" I need something that will rip your face off.

Try this link that Jim made...

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm

I would not use those either. I'm being picky but since I cant try anything out I must.

From those clips, the Ultra, 1080, modern, and recto sounded very similar. This is because of the recording quality.

I like all the sugestions so far. A good choice would be
blackface or plexi for clean
plexi or vox for low gain
1086 for hard rock
1086 for rawr

What about the "Grail?" the description described it has having a thick low mid range and someone said it was similar to the old Rectifiers.

read Disciple's review at the bottom of this page

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=501

I will post a review and pics when I get my Grail on tuesday.

Hmm, thats a good review. I also noticed he said the UltraXL is more compressed, perhaps if I get the Ultra, it will be less compressed but still tight and evil?

If you're considering the Ultra, try out the 1086 module first. Probably about 90% of the people on here that have tried it LOVE it as their high gain module. I will say this, check out Lance-a-not's clip with the modded Ultra lead module I sold him.... he makes that baby sound BADASS!!! :twisted: I think for my playing style/taste, the 1086 sounds best to my ear, but like I said, it is all about your personal taste! :D

definatly the most popular module are blackface, 1086 and plexi but what
could take up the last slot?

I use Blackface for cleans and you definetly can't go wrong with XTC for a distortion module. I use that one as my main sound! I like it better than Ultra, Plexi, or SL+ all of which I also own. I recently got the 1086, Ultra XL, and Top Boost and I'm playing around with those now. The Top Boost sounds surprizingly cool for a medium gain type sound as well as for putting my Fulltone OCD pedal through it. The remaining modules I run without any added distortion pedals through them.
If you have an open slot left, my vote goes to XTC :)

Buy the 1086. I heard the sound clips of the Ultra XL, and although it does indeed sound cool, I think for what you're asking the 1086 will be much more in your face!