G System question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photios

Reaction score
OK, I dont have my rig from Bruce yet, but its supposed to be here in a few weeks and when it arrives, I dont want to have to sit and just look at it. So, I'm acquiring all the necessary cables to hook everything up. I have made a drawing and I think I know pretty much how to do it, but hopefully someone can answer a few questions and check my thinking.

The M4 will have 2 instrument cables from the G System preamp (insert) send and return...since the G System is rack mounted with the M4 the cables can be fairly short...say, 18 inches long.

The M4 will have 2 MIDI cables from the GS midi in and midi out...again, these midi cables can be short.

The loops can be loaded with effects pedals...I dont see needing them with the dual channel modules, but perhaps in the future I could hook up an OD pedal for a slightly different flavor on lead parts...these would be instrument cables and they could be short and I could just leave the pedals on the rack.

The expression pedal will need a short cable from the foot controller to the exp pedal...is this an instrument cable?

Out of the G System to the VHT power amp I will use 2 instrument cables...one right, one left...these can be short as both will be rack mounted.

Out of the VHT I will use 2 speaker cables to my stereo 4x12 cabinet.

Where do I put my Peterson StroboStomp tuner? does it go in an effect loop or does it go between my guitar and the M4 (it is a true bypass pedal)?

I've always used a BBE Sonic Maximizer...I dont know if anyone is using one with the M4 and VHT combo...if so, what results are you getting and where in the loop would it be placed?

I'm currently running a 4 cable setup with my head. The specs on how to set this up is in your G system book. This is an awesome way to go. It puts your onboard Wah, comp and stomp boxes into the front of the amp and lets you run the delay, modulation, pitch and reverb in your loop.

This thing is crazy powerful.

I will be rackmountimg the brain of the board soon and then setup time will be a matter of minutes. hook up 2 cables to the cabs and one Cat 5 cable to the pedal board and your done. I have a 30' cat 5 cable ready to go. You can also have 4 expression pedals hooked up at once, allowing you to place them all around the stage. The pedals also have an instant on feature so as soon as you touch them the effect comes on.

by the 4 cable setup you mean you have your preamp running into the INSERT loop of the G System (2 cables - one left, one right) and then the output of the G System goes to your power amp (again, 2 cables, one left and one right)?

I bought a 30' cat 5 with xlr housing cable today...and of course my M4 and VHT 2/50/2 will all be rack mounted...I'm waiting to buy my SKB case until I figure out how many spaces I need...not sure if I'll need an ISP decimator or my BBE Sonic Maximizer...I assume no on both, but...

StrangeLand said:
I will be rackmountimg the brain of the board soon and then setup time will be a matter of minutes. hook up 2 cables to the cabs and one Cat 5 cable to the pedal board and your done. I have a 30' cat 5 cable ready to go. You can also have 4 expression pedals hooked up at once, allowing you to place them all around the stage. The pedals also have an instant on feature so as soon as you touch them the effect comes on.

What dose the cat 5 cable connect too? Do you mean you have the actuall G System mounted in a rack and a seprate foot controller that runs out to the stage? Or is there a brain box you can buy for the g system to keep all of the loops in the rack and just run a cat 5 to the g system. Ive looked at the g system and never seen a cat 5 port anywhere thats why im just curious. Im going to be buying one of these things soon.

yeah...the GS is actually 2 separate peices that come from the factory joined by 4 machine screws...just turn your GS over and take out the 4 black screws (phillip head) and the brain (also called the GFX01) separates from the Foot controller. The brain has tabs so that it can be rackmounted (which is what I'm doing with mine) and the footcontroller just stays on the ground (the foot controller has the led display built into it) and a cat 5 cable attaches the brain to the foot controller. The GS comes with a 6 inch cat 5 cable already attaching the footcontroller to the GFX01...I bought the Line 6 Variax cable (which is 30 feet long and is a cat 5 with xlr housing) to connect my foot controller to my GFX01...then, my cable runs are going to be super short cause they are all gonna be in my rack and only a cat 5 cable connects the 2 together which will make set up fast, clean and easy. BTW, the GS has 2 separate places to connect the volume and expression pedals...I'm using the footcontroller inputs so that I keep my cables short here also. Just flip your GS over and take a good look...you'll see.

ok thanks for clearing that up, I always thought it was one main unit, i didnt know you could seprate it. That makes me want one even more!

TC set up a mini GS website...go there and you wont regret it...I think there is some really great content their...you'll find out a ton of info about it...but remember, with great power and flexibility comes complications...I think this is why the GS has gotten some bad reviews...some people just arent ready for it and then they buy it and freak out cause they cant use it easily so they sell it and give it a bad name...be patient and pursue the goal of tone without compromise...thats the TC GS.

I agree. It an awesome piece of gear. You really need to spend time planning how you want to set it up. Its very flexible.

Heres my signal cabling

Guitar - input GS

GS insert loop send - input RM100

RM100 Serial loop send - GS insert loop return

GS Main output - RM100 Serial loop return

This allows me to run the proper effects into the preamp of the RM100 and the time based effects in the loop. GS has a killer gate with 80db of cut.

That should be very similar to my setup (I'm supposed to recieve my M4 and VHT from Bruce next week...fingers crossed).

Guitar > GS input

M4 outputs > GS preamp insert

GS outputs > VHT 2/50/2

VHT outputs > to either my Marshall 1960BV (vintage 30's) or my Randall 412XLT (vintage 30's)...or maybe both.

Everything will be powered thru a Monster Pro 2500 and the GS brain will be rack mounted.

I'm using 2 Ernie Ball 6166 pedals for volume and expression and all the cabling is on order from Mark @ Lava...its all Van Dul Hul Hybrid Integration...I think I'll have more money in cables that some guys do in their whole rig...hope it's worth it and makes a difference.

Good to hear about the GS gate...I was thinking about adding an ISP Decimator to keep things quiet, but if the GS gate works well, that will save money and make hook up just that much easier.

Still not sure if I'll use some kind of OD pedal in one of the GS loops for lead parts...I'll play around with it all for a few weeks before I decide about the pedal or the Decimator.

For ease of hookup and flexibility the GS seems like a great solution...I plan to use the Midi on the GS to conrtol the amp channels on the M4...when I hit a single footswith, it should (in theory) change the amp channel, the effects, boost the level, turn on the loop etc...no tap dancing...and the change from patches is absolutely seamless in the GS...even the delays and reverbs decay out slowly...its a pro peice.

Thank's photios

nobody use a rocktron HEX for control wha.

I think buy one Ernie ball junior for the volume and one rocktron HEX for the expression.

What do you think about this ?

Might search for Hex on the forum...I thought someone was using a hex but I cant remeber who. I chose the EB because I think its of really high quality (pretty thick aluminum) and has a great rep for being a good pedal...I dont know anything about the Hex...it might be good too, I just dont know. If you get your stuff thru a source that will allow you to try it for a limited period of time and return it if not happy, it would be hard for you to lose.

Ok thank's

for the moment I will buy a ernie ball junior and I will test it.

If that is appropriate to me I would buy the second.

thankx

I've got the standard sized EB...but I also have a size 14 foot...the jr. might be just right for you...one nice thing about having 2 differnt pedals (like having one EB and one Hex) would be that you be less likely to confuse which one is the volume and which one is the expression...keep posted on the results.

Has anyone tried to use a Morley Pro Series II VOl/Wah pedal with the G-system. I hooked mine up and nada. I didn't really expect it to work since it's not an expression pedal, but thought I'd give it a try. I'm going to have to buy a 6166. Mine is currently combined, but in a couple of weeks, I will be putting the brain in my rackmount. I'm waiting for my RM4 to ship to me.