1086 or Grail for tight Recto-esque tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distortoman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This question is for owners/users of both the 1086 and Grail modules.
I was just wondering which module, the 1086 or Grail, is better at nailing tight, Rectifier-esque tones? I have tried the Recto/Rectified module, and it doesn't seem tight enough, even with the .001 cap mod. Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Distortoman

I did a fairly indepth post on the Grail under Lynch "Grail" on this same section on the forums if you want to check it out.

Rectifier sounding you'll get closer with the Grail, BUT - the 1086 is VERY versatile and in my opinion a better module than the Grail with that aspect. Like others have been saying on here, it is more like a "Marshall" tone than a Mesa tone, but when I played them both ABed w/ my Mesa Dual Rec, the Grail sounded closer toward what a Dual Rec sounds like, but like my other post says it doesn't come near the gain of what a real Dual Rec can achieve. When comparing gain departments with the 1086 and the Grail there is no comparison, the 1086 beats the Grail gain wise.

Hope this helps.

Like Disciple said, the 1086 can get some recto-ish tones, but they have more of a marshall flavor to them (kinda like the Mesa Stiletto) so if you REALLY want a recto, I would say look at the EGNATER Dual Channel E'Rect module. I have one, closest to a Real Recto sound I've found, although I haven't tried the Grail yet. :)

In My Experience, the Recto Sound REALLY depends on the Cab/Speaker Combination. A quality Closed back Cabinet with Vintage 30's or Eminence Texas Heats (My personal Favorite) can help alot in getting the Recto Tone

+1 on scott's comment, your cab will also help gauge how close to recto tone you will get. I had a Randall MTS cab that I swapped the speakers with Texas Heats and it sounded AMAZING! I sold it to someone on the forum (maybe it was scott?) and I've been kicking myself ever since! :lol: My EarCandy cabs (two 2x12 cabs) will be coming with a combo of swamp thang and texas heat speakers in an "X" pattern, almost like a Bogner Uberkab. Should sound KILLER! :twisted:

guitarguy510 said:
+1 on scott's comment, your cab will also help gauge how close to recto tone you will get. I had a Randall MTS cab that I swapped the speakers with Texas Heats and it sounded AMAZING! I sold it to someone on the forum (maybe it was scott?) and I've been kicking myself ever since! :lol: My EarCandy cabs (two 2x12 cabs) will be coming with a combo of swamp thang and texas heat speakers in an "X" pattern, almost like a Bogner Uberkab. Should sound KILLER! :twisted:

Wasnt Me, I have a Carvin 2x12 and an Egnater 4x12 with Texas heats

Yeah I just checked my PM box it was Hilly (aka Jeff), he's a good guy and from what I heard he was enjoying that cab hardcore! Can't wait for my EarCandy cabs!!! :D