Is it the Tubes, Modules, Or just me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbomb12

Reaction score
I recently got a RM4 with 6 modules (See my sig) for about $800. However I'm not 100% thrilled with all of the Module's tone.

I get the best sound out of my Clean and Blackface Modules - no complaints; My "Modern" sounds the best overall out of all the distortion modules; My (modified) Recto sounds good with powerchords (good palm muting) but gets muddy with single notes; The UltraXL is buzzy, fuzzy, and not really pleasent- I can barely get a good palm mute sound; the XTC is (buzzy and Fuzzy) and almost useless and it seems like I can't get enough bass out of it.

How can I tell if my preamp (or module) tubes are blown or worn out? I just want to make sure its just not me being using to Digital Signal Processing.

Does it sound like my preamp's tubes need replacing? Or individual module's tubes need replacement? Or Am I being just too picky?

well if your using your gt8 the wrong way it will mess up every thing up, you must hook that thing up using the 4 cable method, check out this fourm for info about your gt-8
http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

if your using the gt-8 the wrong way it will toally make your tone sound like crap, have you tried bypassing it and just plugging the guitar straight into your amp? Also the tubes in the 50/50 could be on theyre way out. The modules should all sound pretty good IMO, I have a ultra xl and its pretty clear and cool, I had a recto but sold it on ebay quite some time back because they suck in my opinion, but the xtc is definatlly one of my favorites, and im getting a SL+ tomorrow so im anxious to try that one out.

good luck!

Try just plugging straight into the amp first, no fx. Dial in a good dry sound before you introduce anything else into the signal path. If you still aren't happy with your sound, I would look next to speakers. They have a huge influence on your overall sound and response.

Ok, here is how everything is connected:

Guitar -> Boss LS-2 (line Selector)

LS-2 A -> RM4 Input
LS-2 B -> Gt-8 Input

RM4 Pre-Loop Out-> GT8 FX return
GT-8 L/R-> Peavey 50/50 Power Amp channels A/B

Peavey 50/50 Stereo-> Marshall Cab 4x12 in stereo mode (I'm using my friends cab so I don't remember the model number)

I setup the GT-8 Patches so that the FX loop comes in at the VERY END of the signal chain so that the RM4 is technically dry. I mearly switch between the two using the Line Selectors.

I get the same results in tone quality even if I am only using the RM4 by itself (no GT8).

well if your using your gt8 the wrong way it will mess up every thing up, you must hook that thing up using the 4 cable method, check out this fourm for info about your gt-8

I'm not going to try the 4CM because of the reported tone loss. Right now I'm connected directly to both the RM4 and the GT8 so I get the best signals for both.

Also the tubes in the 50/50 could be on theyre way out.

The guy I bought the peavey from said that the tubes were replaced before he shipped them out (of course he could be lying). I don't think its the Peavey though, because my GT-8 sounds awesome through it.

The modules should all sound pretty good IMO, I have a ultra xl and its pretty clear and cool, I had a recto but sold it on ebay quite some time back because they suck in my opinion, but the xtc is definatlly one of my favorites

I know something funny is going on, because right now my best distortion modules are the Recto and Modern; which is wierd because I know the Reviews that the UltraXL and XTC modules have been getting in comparision to the others; but right now those modules sound the worst.

well sorry that didnt help, did you try just guitar into the input of the amp, then straight into the power amp. Good luck

yeah, I already did that- they sound about the same either way.

Could it be the preamp or module's tubes? could they have broke during shipping?

-------

if not, I have one other theory; I'm just being a complete dolt when it comes to the EQ settings on the modules. Do you guys have some favorite settings for UltraXL or XTC that you feel represent the true potential of the modules?

I get the best sound out of my Clean and Blackface Modules - no complaints; My "Modern" sounds the best overall out of all the distortion modules; My (modified) Recto sounds good with powerchords (good palm muting) but gets muddy with single notes; The UltraXL is buzzy, fuzzy, and not really pleasent- I can barely get a good palm mute sound; the XTL is (buzzy and Fuzzy) and almost useless and it seems like I can't get enough bass out of it.

Being that some of your modules sound good there is a possibility that the problem is with certain modules (Ultra XL and XTC). I would try swapping the tubes from a "good" one to a "bad" one, if this fixes the quality then it narrows it down to the tubes need to be replaced.

Note pickups can also be a factor. If you have some buddies with different type of pickups/guitars I would try giving that as shot as well. I have noticed that my Jackson Soloist w/ active pickups sounds killer with High Gain Preamps while my Ibanzez SZ sounds better with Clean/Lo Gain Preams.

Or Am I being just too picky?

The thrive for great tone is considered by some to be "picky" .

FM

Being that some of your modules sound good there is a possibility that the problem is with certain modules (Ultra XL and XTC). I would try swapping the tubes from a "good" one to a "bad" one, if this fixes the quality then it narrows it down to the tubes need to be replaced.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try this out at my next band rehersal.

Note pickups can also be a factor. If you have some buddies with different type of pickups/guitars I would try giving that as shot as well. I have noticed that my Jackson Soloist w/ active pickups sounds killer with High Gain Preamps while my Ibanzez SZ sounds better with Clean/Lo Gain Preams.

I have an Ibanez RG with a Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon at the bridge and a Jazz SH-2 at the neck.

Latest posts