Grail.........too bright for you?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mctallica1

Reaction score
I love my Grail module.....but would love it even more if I could dial a bit of the brightness out of it.

Any suggestions?

brite switch to left is not enough???
Presence and Density should handle the rest for ya...

Try Pres at 9 oclock and Dens at 3 oclock

Or Pres off and Dens maxed out.

Let me know how you make out.

Craig

i know what ya mean.there's this kinda harsh "upper" frequency,which the GRAIL module has in its tone,that's difficult to "dial out"...gotta tweak some knobs,i guess!!!

I have the bright switch to the left presence off and density about 10 oclock. Any higher density and the botom end gets a bit too loose for me.

I also have experimented with a bunch of pre and post EQ to try and tone down the brightness a tad...I am wondering if replacing a cap would do it. But I have no idea which one or what to do. I may contact Pete :wink:

Don't get me wrong...I REALLY like this module, but would prefer a bit less brightness.

I hear ya bro... the nice thing is they are mod friendly... i like the Grail as is and don't find it too harsh... however it's a subjective thing for sure.

Try a metal film cap in place of the ceramic cap at C14. I have never tried it ( yet ) but it should take some of the shrellness out of the top end.

well tone is dependent on alot of items .... what speakers are you running ...what guitar ?? what pickup is in that guitar... settings and such??

i run my grail with gain at 11ish tops through the vht 2502 into a randall XL loads with v30's

the guitar id a old school dillion DRS loaded with a steves special pup

and that Grail is incredialble noharshness for me

MO only

what tubes do you have in it?

try some JJ's if they are not in there, they seem to dial down some brightness in certain modules, I think the ruby tubes are a little darker too.

yeah i had the JJ in my power section before the svetlana's ( which i believe are actually CED winged C el 34 which i love the tone!!!
the high end has a very nice smoothness to it fat and tight bottom end nice mids ...

everytime i fire my rig up ... i grow devil horns n evil smiles!!!!

love this mts stuff

I'm not thrilled with the tone of my Grail, I like it but it could use some improvement. The thing I do love about it though, is lead playing, it sings into controllable feedback very easily, and cleans up well.

RD/Steve said:
mctallica...what speakers are you using? they have alot more to do with your sound than you think.

I think Tony sold all his MTS gear a while back...he's rocking the 1s and 0s from the AxeFx now :D

while I dig the AxeFx...it's a shame. nothing can replace real tubes. the Axe comes very very close...but it's a feel thing for me. i am glad it works for him though. whatever you are comfortable with.

stop it, you know you'll sell off the mts to get the Axe FX, only to return in a year... You have impulsive fire in the belly!

I'd suggest getting back your 1086 since you loved it and have Pete mod it to see where that takes you

crankyrayhanky said:
stop it, you know you'll sell off the mts to get the Axe FX, only to return in a year... You have impulsive fire in the belly!

I'd suggest getting back your 1086 since you loved it and have Pete mod it to see where that takes you

they sell it.....BUT THEY ALL COME BACK! :shock:
I have been in that same boat. Sold all my MTS to get a BOUTIQUE amp....knew after 1 week it was a MISTAKE!! Had to rebuy another Lynch box and modules.
But I had the "hind-sight" so I knew what modules to avoid and which are MUST HAVES and yes, have your 1086 modded. It CRUSHED the "Metal" in all the amps I owned. :twisted:
Besides......its so much FUN to get the modules and have them tweaked and swap them and ETC....easier to spend a coule hundred then a couple THOUSAND every time you want a new sound. :wink:

I sold a 1983 JCM 800 with the MacKintire mod... John is a very well respected amp guru in the Calgary area. Basicallt the JCM 800 sounded like an SLO when he was done.

I also sold my Soldano... I am looking for an early SLO now though.

I kept my Koch Multitone, Lynch Box, Blackheart, Music Man, and a couple of old 6V6 Aperex amps I have from the 6late 50's early 60's.

Tonally the MTS stuff is just KILLER! Plus where else can you get an all tube amp with this kind of verstitlity... ok Egnater.

Cheers
Craig

The grail is one of these modules that can be unforgiving when used with certain combinaisons of speakers/cabs. V30's + EMG81 gives me a great balance so the treble is spot on. I agree the treble control is very sensitive so with other pickups/cabs, dialing out a specific trebly harshness can be a case of too much treble or no treble.