Xpression/Midimate/Hex Pedal

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
Anyone here running this combination of gear? I just got the Hex expression pedal and can't seem to get it working. Am I missing something that I am supposed to be doing other than running a cable from the expression jack on the Hex pedal to the pedal jack on the Midimate?

how do u like ur rocktron expression? i dont know if u listen to sevendust but on their latest record "next" they use some pretty cool techno is rare sounding effects. Can you do that with the xpression?

muskpsmesane said:
how do u like ur rocktron expression? i dont know if u listen to sevendust but on their latest record "next" they use some pretty cool techno is rare sounding effects. Can you do that with the xpression?

Actually I have never listened to Sevendust so I'm not sure about the sounds you mean. But yeah, it is a nice unit and works very well with the RM100. I will say this though, I am not very impressed with the EQ, HUSH, and Compressor on it. When you dial in changes you barely notice any difference to your sound with these activated. All the time based effects work very well though. You can get great chorus, reverb, flanger, phaser, pitch shift, & digital delay sounds with it. I'll probably just get an ISP Decimator to quiet my rig down. Works well with the Midimate and you can switch channels on the RM with it and program effects to different channels on the RM.

I will say this though, I am not very impressed with the EQ, HUSH, and Compressor on it. When you dial in changes you barely notice any difference to your sound with these activated. All the time based effects work very well though.[/quote]

If you have the Dry Path set to "Analog" on the Xpression (which is what many folks do because it makes the unit completely transparent), you are also disabling the EQ and Hush functions. Is this how you have yours set up?

I ultimately switched over to "Digital" and willingly gave up the 100% transparency in order to have the additional control afforded by the Xpression's parametric EQ...which I like BTW. I find the Hush to be fairly natural sounding/unobtrusive as far as noise gates go, though it does not eliminate 100% of the noise of my highest gain patches. FYI, the ISP Decimater was designed by the same guy that did the Hush.

As for Compression effects...unless you run them before your amp/preamp, you'll never get much out of them IMO.

Well hell then man, that must be my problem. Yup, I have it switched to analog. I was wondering why these features were not responding very well. I'll have to jack around with it a little bit. Now I feel like a total dumbass. Thanks for the input!!!

I use the Xpression in digital too.

I think the best noise gate is running two of them Similar to Dimebag (rip) like so:
Guitar > Noise gate > Preamp > Noise Gate > Amp (or Power Amp)

Does it have to be run in the parallel loop in digital mode? I switched mine over a few minutes ago and it was still in the series loop and the volume dropped way down and it sounded like ***. If I throw it over in the parallel loop then I can crank the effects volume up on the amp.

No It doesnt, I use my Effects In Serial Mode. it all depends on setup. for me Serial is the best mode for me. when I set it up in parallel i get a BIG volume drop with my setup.

maeshuggah said:
No It doesnt, I use my Effects In Serial Mode. it all depends on setup. for me Serial is the best mode for me. when I set it up in parallel i get a BIG volume drop with my setup.

Wow, that's weird. Well, back to tweaking then......... :lol:

So you guys are using the Xpression in the series loop and are you using it at -10 or +4?

I have a Xpression and Midimate on the way for my RM100C.

Hey, How y'all doing?
I recently bought a used xpression against the g major for the good reviews its gotten here, however, i just can't seem to get it to sound right or rather "professional".. for a lack of a better term. I fixed the couple of parameters u guys were talking about and playing with the presets for hope of improving them, but nothing yet. Is there something else that greatly affects the units performance? I have version 1.02

My new Xpression is coming in this week. I'll see if I can come up with a good way to run it.

Out of all the combinations I've had, rack effects with preamps or with head's, the best pro effects sound I had was a Intellifex running through the loop of my old Triaxis. I just couldn't believe how the effects sounded through that preamp. The Triaxis just didn't do it in the gain department for me but awesome sounding with that Intellifex.

Is anyone using their Xpression into the input of their amp instead of the effects loop? In the effects loop it does color the sound.

I would like to hear how everybody that has these are running them thru. Would be really appreciate it...I'm still debating to keep it or just shoot for the prophesy....

So far, the Xpression sounds best in the series effects loop for me with the Xpression set at +4. It does color the sound a little though.