Eganater Offers One Day Amp Build Seminar

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Mile Stone

Reaction score
Go to camp and build an amp with the help of our freind and hero Bruce Egnater. Details ...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/Egnater-Amp-Build-Seminar.html

Check it out, I'd love to do this.

I had posted this the other day in the Other Egnater Amps section... (but nobody hangs out there!) :)

I got the full details from Bruce on Friday, sent in the registration form yesterday, and will be popping a check in the mail on Tuesday. I'm on vacation in northern Ohio that week, so it's only a short drive up to the Amp Lounge for a day of amp building with Bruce. The end result is a hot-rodded JTM45 that is supposed to sound like a TOL100 or IE4 channel 3 or the EG3 module. Can't wait!

--B

Cool B, I didn't know if anybody had seen that yet. I know what you mean. I debated about whether it should go on the News and Announcements or what. sounds liek fun but ya, it probably costs a couple a grand at least.

Here are some more details that Bruce sent...

-=-=-=-

One day amp building seminar
?Hot Rod JTM45 Version?

Have you ever thought about how cool it would be to work on or even build your own amp? Where do you begin? How do you find good information? We are offering you an opportunity to learn about and actually build your own amp at one of our One day amp building seminars. The classes are held at Egnater World Headquarters in beautiful Berkley, Michigan located just North of Detroit (Rock City).

Here?s how it works. When you sign up for the class, you are also purchasing an amplifier kit. These high quality kits are supplied by Mojo Music. We use the JTM45 head model. Check it out on their website (www.mojomusicalsupply.com). We then modify the stock kit into a ?hotrodded? version for you to build. The modifications take the basic stock 4 input, 2 channel amp and turn it into a JCM800 master volume model on steroids. You get more gain, smoother tone (no ice pick to the forehead high end) and more punch than any stock JCM800. If you are familiar with our Egnater amps, the sound is basically channel 3 of the TOL100 or IE4 or our current EG3 module. Each ?student? has his/her own work station for the day. We then walk you through the process of building your amp kit one step at a time. You can?t fail because we are there to guide you. We take the fear out of it. You are guaranteed to walk out at the end of the day with a great sounding amp head that you built with your own hands.

The requirements for success are simple. It helps to have some basic soldering skill. If you have never soldered wires before, please read the attached ?How to Solder? section. Your task will be much easier and your hand built amp will look much nicer if you practice your soldering skills before the class. It is not difficult but does take some amount of skill and practice to do a nice job. You really don?t need any electronic knowledge (though it doesn?t hurt). You should also be somewhat proficient at using basic hand tools (screwdrivers, nutdrivers, pliers etc). That?s it.

This is a fun and satisfying day of learning and building. There is no better feeling than taking on the challenge and succeeding at building something with your own hands. Understand this will be an intense day. It is critical that you arrive on time and be ready to ?go for it?. You will see from the following pages it is important that everyone stay focused and arrive on time.

Schedule for the day:

8:00AM
Arrival. Donuts and coffee. Get acquainted.

8:30AM
Workstation assignments. Get situated and comfortable in your work space.
Check out your kit.

9:00AM
Class officially begins. We will go over how your goal of building your own amp will be accomplished. A basic overview of how amps work will be presented.
You will then jump right in to building your amp.

12:00PM
Lunch on us.

12:30PM
Back to work.

3:00PM
Short break. Stretch.

3:15PM
Back to work. By now your amp will be taking shape.

The rest of the time will be spent finishing, testing and playing. Don?t worry. We will stay until everyone is done and ready to walk out with a finished, great sounding amp no matter how long it takes. Terri, Ian, Frank and I will be there to help you the entire time.

Fees and Policies.

MOJO JTM45 kit (Customized) $925
Class fee $250
Tool kit (optional) $180

Enrollment is limited to 7 students per session.

All materials and supplies are provided for you at your individual work station for use. You may also elect to purchase our recommended tool kit. The purchased tool kit is then yours to keep.

The Tool kit (optional)

You may purchase a personal set of tools ideally suited for building your amp and for future use should you wish to further modify, repair or just experiment with your amp (or any other amp). The tool kit includes everything you would need. The purchase is totally up to you. We provide everything for your use during the class. We do recommend the purchased kit as a useful package for the serious student.

Soldering iron
Solder
Desoldering tool
Digital multimeter
Assorted hand tools
Tool pouch

Bonus

Included in the supplied manual is a special section on modifying your amp. This information is useful should you wish to further experiment with different tones and features. Our goal is to give you the basic knowledge and confidence to continue in your studies and better understand how amps work in the real world.

-=-=-=-

The info from Bruce also included a registration form and a one-pager on how to do point-to-point soldering.

--B