It's here -- pictures to follow

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
usrname said:
Congrats! Nice lookin' rig you got there! I have the same mods but with an RM20. How do you like the Scary? I keep going back and forth with mine - some days I love it and some days not so much so.

From what I understand Lynch is going back and forth with it too. LOL, but that's George. This amp is cranking 100W with four JJ EL34Ls and so will get different results. I like the module.

I've seen some limitations with it with the EL34Ls if you're going for the SLO end of things. I think if you had 6L6s or 5881s in the amp you could get there easily since that's what Mike puts in the SLO. He used to offer an EL34 model but discontinued it due to lack of demand. The SLO has a more singing lead tone with a looser bottom.

However the EL34Ls have a lot more bite to them than the 5881s. There's an amp that has a similar drive circuit to the SLO but has more bite to the sound. That's the 5150. With the EL34Ls this module nails that sound -- go figure since the 5150 runs 6L6s. But taken with the rest of the characteristics of the module and the amp it does this. The sustain goes on forever. Now cut the bass a little and add some mds and treble and it's mid-80s Dokken as advertised.

I like it for that Dokken sound and some of Kip Winger's stuff which is what I was messing around with today. If you need to play clean in a song this is NOT your module.

I just pulled it out this evening and replaced it with the JTM. I need to play with the JTM and Grail tomorrow, and learn how to dial those. JTM should be easy. Grail? Hmmm.

Nikki's right. I'll be dropping a pair of tubes in the amp soon. I like the bite of the EL34Ls but how about the 6550s? Or should I drop a pair of 5881s in it? Which brand? SED =c= for the 6550s? :?: