Excessive hum noise from the Ultra module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angastus

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the Ultra module is known to have much more hum than recto? My recto module is quiet. I have a R100M and I moved the utlra from channel 3 to channel 2 but the noise continued so the noise must be from the module. I have a Boss NS-2 pedual, which I tried to placed in the P-loop (with the effect knob to the max) but that didn't take away the hum. I haven't tried using the S-loop. Anyone out there who is using a NS-2 with the R100M? If so, how do you use it with R100M?

Also, I want to get one new module strictly for lead. I'm thinking about the XTC (I like the red channel sound from my Bogner) or the Grail. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-auggie-

Don't know about the hum except to say that I notice some modules are noisier than others. I posted some things I did to quiet the noise in another thread on Whistling noise in another section here on the forum. You might wantt to try some of those suggestions.
As for the XTC. it is my favorite distortion module. My band played out Saturday night and I used that along with Blackface for the cleans. I tried using the SL+ for a few things but it just wasn't cutting through like the XTC.

noise-supressors and gates are the type of "effect" that always must go through the SERIES LOOP to work properly

but i'd bet it is one of the tubes
just swap around a bit

the reg Ultra module is one of the noisier gain modules,as you really turn up the volume.i have one and mine's the same way.i've also noticed the same amount of noise on other new Ultra modules at local stores that carry MTS products.unfortunately,some noise and/or hiss,comes with super high gain(in most cases)...i did notice,though,some of the other higher gain modules,like the 1086 & Modern,don't produce nearly as much noise...like the last guy said-put a noisegate device in the SERIAL effects loop,and you're all set!!!

Have you tried switching to a lower gain tube?
It wouldn't hurt to try....and i'm sure u wouldn't notice with the amount of gain on the module

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the NS-2 with the series loop tomorrow. Hopefully this will take the noise/hiss down.

Roodyrocker, Does the XTC module sound *similar* to the real deal, which is pretty bright and has very good sustain? Thx.

Yup, they're noisy. Precisely why I sold mine off.

Dug the tone, couldn't deal with the noise. I haven't used Gates since the early 90's. If I had to though, I'd probably grab the ISP decimator. Looks cool.

angastus; the XTC can be bright if thats what you want to get out of it. Depends on your settings. It can also sustain very nicely. In live situations it cut through for me better that the SL+. My band does 80's hard rock covers and the XTC sounds best to me for this stuff. Some of the other modules like Ultra Lead, Brown and Plexi just didn't have enough gain compared to the XTC. Others such as Modern, Ultra Plus, 1086 sound good but not quite the right sound for what I'm doing. I also found the XTC to be equally at home whether doing rhythm or lead work. I just picked up a Mr. Scary module and will try that next in a band situation.
I haven't had the XTC right next to a real Bogner Ecstacy so I can't comment on how close it gets tone wise. However, keep in mind that the beauty of the real Ecstacy is its various voicings and different channel combinations. Tons of options while the XTC module is only one of those sounds. I do own a Bogner Uberschall and if Randall/Egnater would release an Uber module I'd be glad to AB those through the same guitar and cabinet to see how close they get it :)