Quick KH2 clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioholic

Reaction score
Ok

I suck at doing clips, mindless noodling. Just got this module (again), and it better then I remember. Here is a very quick noodling clip of the module, will try to do more rythm stuff later.

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/KH2%20Quick%20Clip.mp3

Funny...I ended up buying this one twice.....and liked it much better the second time round....it's still too tubby sounding sometimes..but I basically fix that with an SD-1 :D

Sounded cool, I like the mindless noodling!
I just reluctantly sold mine off- I'll come back to it I'm sure

What settings and axe did you use?

A tube swap is neccesary to tightening up the bottom end. The ruby tubes seem to have a lower freq mud to them, they sound nice, good harmonics, but just a little tubby in the bottom. Played it with stock tubes, then put some new ones in, and it really helped the bottom end be alot less flubby. I also run my density very very low if at all.

This was recorded using my PRS ce 24 guitar, into RM4, out to TC electronic G-system (all efx bypassed for this), stereo return into RT2/50 and stereo into my Ear Candy 2x12 cab with Green machine speakers. Mic'd with a Shure SM57 and a Heil PR40 (one on each speaker)

thanks for listening. great module. A little thicker then my Modded Sl+, better for leads imo, yet still can really clean up well with the volume knob and has just a little good crunch to it.

Settings are about this on the module, bass at noon, middle and treble at about 1, bright switch on

I used a multiband compressor on the buss, so it brightened it up just a tad.

Thanks for the comments

you bet.

I really am liking the kh2 once again, not that I didn't like it before, but I have a new cab and it sounds much better this time around. It has replaced my Ultra XL in my RM4 for leads. Slightly thicker then the ultra imo, though the ultra is tighter for rythm, but doesn't clean up as well.

the KH2 sounds similiar to my modded SL+ too, just the KH2 is a little thicker on the bottom and has less crunch and not as bright. Great harmonic content imo, really good module.

I will try to work on a rythm clip very soon.

Nice tone! I like your feel, not what you expect to hear coming out of a Kirk Hammett module. I just bought a RM 100 and can't wait for it to get here so I can start tinkering!!

yeah

I personally did not set out to sound like Kirk, but I think the KH2 has a nice sound to it that doesn't have to associate with anything metalica. Its a bit more chewy then other randall gainers imo.

What tubes did you use for the replacement? I just got this module and the tubbyness is a real problem for me, much more than any other module I own (I think I have 13). Almost had me wondering whether something was wrong with it.

I put some older mesa relabled something or other tubes in it. Good balance of sound from whatever they are. I like the ruby tubes in other places, just don't help with the lower fequency issue with the KH2. I don't have my density up at all, and keeping the bass not up so high helps keep it tight.

I am not too concerned with the low end right now, though later I may send it off to get modded if it becomes an issue. I think the SL+ is tighter, but I still love the voicing and thickness of the KH2. I am sure a differnet value on the bass cap or something could help tighten it up if you are at all handy with that sort of stuff

JKD said:
Funny...I ended up buying this one twice.....and liked it much better the second time round....it's still too tubby sounding sometimes..but I basically fix that with an SD-1 :D

I agree completely on this. I only play this module twice-boosted (Xotic BB into cusack screamer) and it's one of my favorite tones. It's clear, its fat and its IN YOUR FACE! :D