Just bought the KH-3

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm on my second round with the kh-3 and i must say i like alot, its similar to the 1086's good channel but the eq is alot wider . i changed the speakers in my cab from the last time i had one and it sounds alot different, its deep full and alot thicker than the last one i had , and doesn't seem as dry either. i'll be keeping this one for sure. yeah i didn't care for the first one i had but with some set up changes since and maybe the one i got now has some revisions? it sounds great :twisted:

My KH2 sounds better then I remember. I realy like this module. i think it has plenty of gain on tap. Maybe if you don't like the KH3, the kh2 would be more up your ally..

maximus1 said:
i changed the speakers in my cab from the last time i had one and it sounds alot different, its deep full and alot thicker than the last one i had , and doesn't seem as dry either.
What speakers?

I liked my KH3 a lot- but that treble has got to be cranked to almost 3 o'clock in my experience. Back it off a bit, boost the mids and it's a real sweet lead tone.

I gave it up in a nonPete mod sell off, but I'd get it again!

just had it at practice last night and took the boost off of it and my god it was killer :twisted: sounds great without the boost, very 5150 ish but also krank sounding as well kinda of a mix of the 2, no noise with the boost off. this one is a keeper, amazing how speakers changed the the overall sound of this one. 2 minutes into it my band mates were like don't touch anything on that channel 8)

I like the KH-3 because of how different it sounds than my other gain modules. I don't use the sound as much as some of the other mods but when I've got it plugged in, boy, mikey likes!

I haven't gotten anywhere with this module yet but it's one of those things where your initial reactions aren't good. I honestly think I need to check out another pair of pre's with it. Mine have some kind of HG label on them so I have no idea what kind they are (high gain?) and I don't know whether it will make a difference or not. It has that blanket over the cab vibe goin on right now and I can't seem to dial it out.

I get great sounds out of my Hammett guitars with it funnily enough ;)

It loves and reacts to the EMGs of course....quite a different vibe with passives too..

I can totally hear what some people are saying about blankety or congested...depends on guitar and cab as well don;t forget.

The HG are I think same as Ruby 7025/12ax7s .... there's mileage to be had in replacing v1 I'm sure...but I haven't bothered yet.

JKD said:
I get great sounds out of my Hammett guitars with it funnily enough ;)

It loves and reacts to the EMGs of course....quite a different vibe with passives too..

I can totally hear what some people are saying about blankety or congested...depends on guitar and cab as well don;t forget.

The HG are I think same as Ruby 7025/12ax7s .... there's mileage to be had in replacing v1 I'm sure...but I haven't bothered yet.

Cool man...I have a pair of pretty hot C9's laying around, I think I'm gonna give them a whirl and replace those pre's. This module almost sounds like it would benefit from a sonic maximizer but I don't like using them with tube amps. They make a SS amp crush but with a tube amp they always seem to sound over processed or something.