Welcome to the Gigmods forum

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Since Pete stepped up to help sponsor the MTS forum I gave him his own little spot :) This is the place to discuss Pete's module mods and any other questions you might have for him.

Pete's website is www.gigmods.com

Thanks again for helping out.

Thanks Ned!

I'm looking forward to getting a lot of info under one roof here where it's easy to find.

Also going to put out some general modding information that everyone can use too, and I should have some interesting annoucements soon. :)

Pete

okstrat said:
Also going to put out some general modding information that everyone can use too

This would be awesome...I sure wish there were more community mod info available instead of all the cool mods requiring payment.

I know you can't give away all your hard work, but have you ever thought of selling the information about how to do some of the specific mods?
I have all the means in the world of doing my own mods, but can't bring myself to send to someone else to have it done knowing I have a huge stock of electronics componets...
I know there are a few of your mods, as well as the Salvation mods that I'd LOVE to do on my own, but can't bring myself to send a module out to have it done for me.

Hey Jim! Just speaking for myself, of course...

There are a few reasons why I don't want to sell 'recipes' for mods.

1) I tweak modules by ear after getting in the ballpark. Parts used in the MTS modules have a tolerance. If a part has a 10% tolerance, then a 100k resistor can be anywhere from 90k to 110k and still fit. Count how many resistors and caps there are... even if it's not in the signal path, it can still affect the module. Well, if you just throw in 100k plate resistors on a module, you may end up with totally different results on a module that had a lot of 'low' measuring parts vs a 'high' one. I may put a 100k MARKED resistor that is actually lower than that or higher than that to compensate... or even a marked 110k, etc. It's not always a total recipe thing. That may get you close, but if you want it to be closer you're going to have to tweak by ear, and a recipe isn't going to tell how to compensate. That starts becoming a tube amp book at that point. :)

2) Someone follows a recipe I give them without being able to compensate for parts drift or just a module that might need a little more tweakage. Someone hears it. Hey, it's a Pete mod. "Wow, that doesn't sound as good as I thought it would." My reputation then is tied to whoever did the mods. Heck, it already is in some ways from people getting ahold of my modules and reverse engineering them. I'm waiting for someone to really goof a module up good but use a clarity/warmth mod that I started way back when, and someone advertises it as a 'pete mod'.

3) Someone buys a recipe from me or copies a module I modded, and then starts doing mods for others. I don't really feel like starting someone out as a MTS modder off my work.

4) I really doubt anyone else is going to sell their mod recipes/schematics either - Friedman, Voodoo, Egnater, etc - they are never going to do that. It just doesn't make economic sense. Besides, what would keep someone from buying a 'recipe' from me, and then 3 days later it's posted online on a message board or emailed?

I hear you about the huge stock of components, but that's not what you're paying for on mods. Whether it's me or Dave Friedman or Egnater or whoever, you're paying for our ears and our experience. Mostly experience. I've bopped around with musical electronics for over 25 years. Started with pedals, which is a great place to start - you're not going to kill yourself with a 9 volt pedal! :)

Some of the mods I'm going to mention on the board (along with a HUGE safety disclaimer) are going to be to the amps themselves. I haven't seen much info about that on the board other than transformer upgrades... there are a lot of neat things we can do to these amps, but I have no desire at this time to deal with ginormous heavy amps shipping to and fro.

Pete

jimosity said:
okstrat said:
Also going to put out some general modding information that everyone can use too

This would be awesome...I sure wish there were more community mod info available instead of all the cool mods requiring payment.

I know you can't give away all your hard work, but have you ever thought of selling the information about how to do some of the specific mods?
I have all the means in the world of doing my own mods, but can't bring myself to send to someone else to have it done knowing I have a huge stock of electronics componets...
I know there are a few of your mods, as well as the Salvation mods that I'd LOVE to do on my own, but can't bring myself to send a module out to have it done for me.

That would be very cool to get some AMP mods from you, I agree with 100%, where I would love to send my amp to you for mods it would cost an arm and a few legs for shipping alone, (I know all to well as I work in shipping). So for you to provide us gear heads with some cool amp tweaks would be invaluable to us.

Congrats on your own FORUM Pete! I hope this helps you and so many others.

I applaud you taking the leadership role. And I for one, dont wanna buy any recipes off you. There is no substitute for one person's hard-won knowledge. I think thats why people rave about your work...you know exactly what component causes what..and why.
That isn't just a case of knowing a resistor value.
I love talking to guys who've been at this for years..and I've learned alot long the way...but above all that.. Ive learned if you want a "pete mod" or a so-and-so mod" pay the guy...and get his "imprint on it".
many many people have enjoyed Leo Fender's imprint and Jim Marshall's (Ken Bran's) and I say....here..here...if its priced reasonable..pay the man.
GtrGeorge (George Barry)

I am a long time Marshall fanatic since the 70's...I tried a RM50 because I liked the Plexi module and the SL+ and I could use the amp at today's volumes! After going through the Marshall withdrawal period....you know A/B comparing and all that, I wanted to go back to the Marshall...then, I discovered Pete....the rest is history. His mods, at least to my modules, gave me that Marshall feel for the most part at acceptable volume levels. I still miss the really loud Marshall stuff and still try to get that vibe w/the Randall stuff via tube/speaker swaps and stuff. But the bottom line is...Pete can get you where you want to go w/this Randall stuff...He is the man!
Butch/Indy

Thanks Pete for putting together the Gigmods Twin. What a killer module for Fender tones. It's got a "Deluxe" switch on it and it is just the perfect clean for everything under the sun.