side by side comparisons with the big boys

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
Ok so at this point i've had my rm100 with xtc and blackface being the modules at test up next to quite a few nice amps, and its come out with a better tone every time.

So since my aquisition of a framus cab, ive spawned an interest in their gear; and i found the local dealer of their gear in my area (www.rocksolidamps.com) and took a trip down there.

I played a framus cobra head, and every head in the current engl line up and i came home and went to practice tonight and the randall sounds better through and through. Most validating in my choice of head if you ask me. I cant wait to get some of the signature modules.

however, for those of you with disposable incomes and serious GAS(theres plenty of you d00ds on here i know it!)

ENGL fireball and SE were awesome The fireball is a value if in my opinion, the SE sounds killer but has way too many options.
and the framus cobra head ruled as well. Think rectifier with a little less midrange emphasis and a lot less buzz, and a clean channel that'd make you think twice about that twin!( no lie!)

Interesting...

I'm still debating if I should go the Randall MTS way or the ENGL 570 way for my preamp section...

ENGL's are kind of hard to find to demo, but I did demo the MTS (recto and clean) and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should try the 1086 or XTC though. However Randall quality control and customer support scare me!

Oh... choices, choices.

I had both the Fireball and the Blackmore sign head from ENGL..

Fireball is price value indeed, and the Blackmore better sounding..

If I had to choose between my RM100 and the ENGL Blackmore today.. it's a close call..

I do would like to take the ENGL Savage for a spinn, what I heard of that amp it smokes..

melodioso -

the recto module is pretty awful; try and check out the george lynch mods or the 1086 and or the xtc module for the heavy distortions and i find these heads to be very sensitive to cab selection

but the engls fargin rule

-dave

I agree with trying out other high gain modules before deciding. The Recto isn't that great and the clean is one of the least favorite "clean modules".

I personally like the Blackface and Deluxe the best over the Topboost for my cleans, but hey that is just my opinion.

As far as a good high gain - I am using the 1086, Modern and SL+ and the Mr. Scary as my main high gain modules. I just don't think the XTC has near the gain as some of the other modules listed above.

Check out Jimosity's clips that he posted here with about 10 or so modules being played.