modding tips

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Just a few general tips for the folks with itchy soldering irons... :)

1) Get good equipment. A $7.99 radio shack soldering iron might get hot, but you are going to have a much easier time buying a GOOD soldering iron with a selectable heat control. Weller makes one for under $100 that you can buy online. This way you can solder pcb's without burning them... and if you need to rewire a guitar or amp, you can crank the heat up and solder on the back of the pots with no issues.

2) Get a decent desoldering tool. My personal favorite are the suction types - you heat up the solder joint, and it vacuums up the solder. Radio Shack makes a blue one that looks like a marital aid for under $10. This is so much neater than heating up solder joints and yanking on parts. If you desolder correctly, the parts can fall out of the pcb!

3) If you have a part you are going to have to pull on to get out, be careful using needlenose pliers. You can't tell how hot the board is getting, and if you're wrestling with it too long you're going to burn it. In most cases I try to use my FINGERS to pull on the part while I heat the solder - if it's too hot for my fingers then it's getting too hot for the PCB too. Nothing encourages quick part removal than burning sensations on your fingers. :)

4) Especially on older parts that you are installing, use some steel wool to clean the leads. I had some vintage carbon comp resistors I was using on a mod, and the leads had a little corrosion. A quick wipe with some steel wool and they were shiny, and ready for a good solder joint. I've also seen this to a lesser degree on new caps and resistors.

5) When at all possible, take the module apart. It makes for a cleaner mod. I started doing a few mods for lower $ from the top, but it just makes for a better/neater mod to do it from the underside like the factory. If you are nervous about taking the module apart, you probably don't have any business replacing parts on it either.

6) When you take the module apart, note how many washers are on the pot shafts. MAKE SURE you put just as many back - no more, no less.

7) Use the right tools for the job. Wrong size screwdrivers will cause all sorts of issues. Strip out a screw on a module and it's a real pain to fix. Trust me. :) It seems like the old black ones were really bad at this.

8) speaking of the black screws, almost all of them have that green goop on them. Sometimes it gets in the grooves on the screw where your screwdriver mates to it... if this happens, use an x-acto knife or something pointy to scrape it out. Otherwise you can't get a good hold on the screw and it will strip out.

9) Cut all your leads as short as possible. If they are too long and touch the metal carrier under the PCB, there's a good chance your module won't work.

10) make sure capacitors with a +/- designation are polarized properly. LEDs too. Resistors can go in either direction, same with most of your capacitors - orange drops, mica and ceramics can go either way. The ones that look like little barrels are usually polarized though.

11) measure twice, cut once. :)

Now this is what I want to see. I'm very interested to hear whatever tips you have for this kinda stuff. Thanks man.

This is why I'll gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing over getting the cheap on with someone who has an itchy soldering iron... :lol: :p

shred-o-holic said:
This is why I'll gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing over getting the cheap on with someone who has an itchy soldering iron... :lol: :p
Amen on that! I know that there is alot of TIME AND TRAIL and ERRORS that go into figuring out what makes the module sound GREAT!
I did a couple cap mods before but I havent the faintest on how to make the modules sound so KILLER!
"Hats off to ya!!" :D

Wow, thanks for sharing these tips. What is good heat setting for working with PCB boards so that you don't burn them?

Jack Napalm said:
Wow, thanks for sharing these tips. What is good heat setting for working with PCB boards so that you don't burn them?

On my Weller it's generally '3' out of '5' possible settings - you may need to experiment a bit. What you want is hot enough to melt solder quickly without it being TOO hot, if that makes sense.

Excellent tips!
Really love the one about, "If you are nervous about taking the module apart, you probably don't have any business replacing parts on it either."

OK to add.. a good solder/desoldering wick/braid is also a great addition for certain situations. I must have 3-4 of those Radio Shack "Marital" aids laying around- lol. Absolutely priceless.

HUGE HUGE ditto on a good soldering station.
Understanding heat transfer and such... basic soldering skills and knowledge.. so priceless, so necessary.

Very cool thread!!!

okstrat said:
Jack Napalm said:

On my Weller it's generally '3' out of '5' possible settings - you may need to experiment a bit. What you want is hot enough to melt solder quickly without it being TOO hot, if that makes sense.

I usually have my iron between 350 and 375....seems to be hot enough to quickly flow the thin electronic solder required for reworking components and apply enough heat quickly for desoldering pump to work....I don't have much success with braid though :D

I can't say I've had a lot of luck with the braid either. Only problem with the pump is that it gets clogged pretty easily. The radio shack blue ones eventually won't stay together in the middle - they are plastic and screw together, eventually you'll hit the button and the top will fly across the room :)

+1 to the unsuccessful braid. I got a braid with the 808 mod kit for my TS9. It was the first/only time I worked on a pedal and it was a pain. I managed to get the "marital aid" to work for me, and all was good.

I've got a Weller soldering station w/ variable voltage control. I never go past 3 and I'll test the iron on my own solder before touching the module. Depending on the module, I may drop a little of my own solder on the pcb joint I want to desolder to make for a quicker/easier extraction.

Congrats to you, Pete! I think you've definitely earned your own forum. I bet it feels good to get rewarded for something you whole-heartedly enjoy doing. :wink: