Scored some Ei long-plate 7025/ECC83 :D

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Was keeping an eye out for these....based on George's magic beans....spotted a Phillips branded pair..paid a lot for shippinh 'coz they came from Spain but am really liking these.

High gain without harsh high end...mids without honk...very nice..put one in the Brahma....second one I'm a gonna try in the Scary :evil:

worth the hype?
beware of them going microphonic... notorious for it.
if they really are a be-all-end-all for you, I might suggest saving one for recording duties, and *abuse* the other :D

Dunno..they sound good though and I didn't pay a lot for tested and good NOS tubes..I think new Tung-Sol ECC803s golds cost about the same and I've had a 50% failure rate on those.

i got one of these and they are nice but i think it putsout a smaller sound compared to all my other 12ax7 's, kind of midi

I like long plates too... the old Telefunkens seemed to have a short liefspan.

How about 5751's anyone here a fan. I find them less gainy than most 12AX7's... as they should be. There is also a inherent tonal aspect that I find unique... the upper mids are a little less pronounced it seems.
This can be a benifit in some European high gain amps like ENGL and Kock or even some Mesa Boogie or the mid 80's JCM 800... in these cases it can shave of that upper mid harshness.

maximus1 said:
i got one of these and they are nice but i think it putsout a smaller sound compared to all my other 12ax7 's, kind of midi

Yes..I don't know if it's more of a mid focussed sound but certainly less hyped/harsh in the highs.

khingpynn said:
I like long plates too... the old Telefunkens seemed to have a short liefspan.

How about 5751's anyone here a fan. I find them less gainy than most 12AX7's... as they should be. There is also a inherent tonal aspect that I find unique... the upper mids are a little less pronounced it seems.
This can be a benifit in some European high gain amps like ENGL and Kock or even some Mesa Boogie or the mid 80's JCM 800... in these cases it can shave of that upper mid harshness.

I like longplate tubes too...whether it's new production ECC803s, GT12ax7m, Mullard RI or NOS RCA long blackplates....

5751 is cool for some things but I find they can lower gain too much..I have some JAN/GE, Phillips and Raytheon ones..in addition to EH and Mesa at7s

A little heads up.... im taking my head to Chicago Guitar and Amp (i know i keep talking bout them, but i do for a reason) soon to try out different pre-amp tubes. THe amp tech, Matt, ordered a bunch of high gain pre-amp tubes and we are going to try each one at gig volume to see what happens. I am going to be using my Ultra module for this because my Ultra XL is kinda junky (a trade i made :roll: )

I will make a thread soon detailing each pre-amp tube brand and how it sounded.

Some guy on Rig Talk was up some EI's he got from the tubestore the other day......I guess they sound great even the tubestore doesn't warranty them in guitar amps..

JKD said:
Was keeping an eye out for these....based on George's magic beans....spotted a Phillips branded pair..paid a lot for shippinh 'coz they came from Spain but am really liking these.

High gain without harsh high end...mids without honk...very nice..put one in the Brahma....second one I'm a gonna try in the Scary :evil:

I find them very similar to the Tung Sol 12ax7..but with a bit more gain and bite....just what my Brahma needed :D