Amp emergency kit

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Here's what I carry at gigs... even if you don't play out, you should have an emergency amp kit just in case. Here's my list - what do you guys bring?

1) spare set of tubes, especially power. I have owned enough amps that I have a few sets of EL34s and 6L6s that I can use for troubleshooting. Even if you replace your tubes, keep the old ones as long as they aren't making you blow fuses... you can use one to finish a gig or to keep playing a few days while your new tubes are coming in.

2) multimeter. This way you can bias your own amp (the MTS amps are so easy to bias it's a crime not to) and also test fuses. And your guitar cords!

3) Spare fuses.

4) Spare guitar cords. At least a few that are as long as your longest cord you use - this way, if you have a shorter cord go out you can still make it reach.

5) Spare speaker cord and power cord.

6) Screwdrivers. For the MTS amps, you need a small flat screwdriver for setting bias. And a larger phillips for taking the chassis out if you need to get to the internal fuses.

7) flashlight.

8) some sort of spare amp - I've brought a modelling amp like a Pod or Yamaha DG-Stomp with me in the past to gigs. Sure it doesn't sound as good as your main amp, but you can finish the gig and it's small and easy to transport.

Pete,

How do you test guitar cable/cords with a multimeter? This would be very handy to know.

Also great post on this survival kit.

Thanks.

Dustin.

I can't even imagine pulling out the chassis and changing internal fuses at a gig! :lol:

I used to carry my Orange tiny terror-lightweight and sounds great!
I'd like to land an rm20 head...

TheHunter said:
Pete,

How do you test guitar cable/cords with a multimeter? This would be very handy to know.

Also great post on this survival kit.

Thanks.

Dustin.

You would use the meter to test for continuity like you would a fuse - most digitals have a setting that will beep if the probes make contact with each other. You would touch the grounded parts of each end of the cable and see if you got a beep or continuity (this is good) and then check the tips of the cables for the same thing. Cable would be bad if you didn't get continuity between end tips or grounded parts, or if you had continuity between ground and tip. That would mean your cable was shorted out.

Pete

crankyrayhanky said:
Extension Cord!

DOH! You're right. I actually carry an extension cord and one of those 'squid' looking power adapters just in case... they rock.