grail preamp tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuicideCircus

Reaction score
I just recently purchased (on ebay) a used 07 grail module. What comes stock for pre's in this and what are people running in recto based modules?
It currently has one ts reissue and one 12ax7wa. While it sounds good, I just feel it could be better...
Suggestions?
This is is a e34l lynch box......

I've heard of a few people using a Mesa SPAX7-A (their "high quality" 12AX7) in the V1 for the Mesa tone, and people tend to like a nice Chinese AX7 in the V2 for gain. That should get you a very nice, powerful Recto tone.

Shinozoku said:
I've heard of a few people using a Mesa SPAX7-A (their "high quality" 12AX7) in the V1 for the Mesa tone, and people tend to like a nice Chinese AX7 in the V2 for gain. That should get you a very nice, powerful Recto tone.
That is a good idea. Ive never tried the SPax7 in the MTS. The SP is a VERY stable and "low noise" tube. So the gain is a touch lower than most other ax7's which makes it a good choice for the V1 position in most amps. I would think the SP in V1 and a high gain tube in V2 would be a great combo. Agressive yet stable.

droptrd said:
Shinozoku said:
That is a good idea. Ive never tried the SPax7 in the MTS. The SP is a VERY stable and "low noise" tube. So the gain is a touch lower than most other ax7's which makes it a good choice for the V1 position in most amps. I would think the SP in V1 and a high gain tube in V2 would be a great combo. Agressive yet stable.
Yeah, I've been wary of Mesa tubes, as they're mostly rebranded Sovteks as far as I know, but I've heard they're the go-to tube for the MEsa tone in the right modules :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I dug thru the tube box and the best (to my ears) was a Chinese GT in V1 and a Mesa 12ax7 in V2.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated...