Blackface + Phaser + Delay = ultimate clean tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well I modded the resistor and LED in my Randall "silverface" Blackface as you all saw in the other post, but does anyone run effects through their Blackface with great results? I was messing around last night with some of my pedals going straight into the front of the Egnater M4 and holy crap! I had it on the Blackface Channel with my HBE Psilocybe (Phaser) and my Boss DD-20 Gigadelay running into my VHT 2/50/2 and out of one of my EarCandy cabinets and the tone was just AMAZING! I wish I had a mic so I could share it with you guys! It sounded almost exactly the same as Mike Einziger's (Incubus) clean tone that he has used on so many songs, especially since he uses phasers a LOT! It sounded SO cool!!! :D Has anyone else tried running pedals through the Blackface and come out with an amazing clean tone? Just thought I would share.... also, has anyone tried out the Egnater dual channel "Twin" module with a chorus or phaser in front of it? I'm curious how that sounds too.... *sigh* I need more money for modules, I want to own them all! :lol:

I use some chorus (Line6 MM-4) and delay (DD-3) with either my SL or 1086 module and can nail a Darkness type tone. I use this for Def Leppard and Poison settings too, just **** fun to play. Perfect with the 1086 but I need the SL for more songs so I usually leave it in the head.

Sweet Ned! Yeah I bet a good chorus in front of these modules sounds great! :D I'm trying to reduce my pedalboard though... hehe :shock:

I just tried my vintage block logo MXR Phase 90 in the serial loop of my RM50B with the Blackface module the other night. I wasn't sure how the Phase 90 would fit in the loop....but it sounded great! I also have a DD-20 in the loop....cool to record a clean rhythm with the Phase 90 into the DD-20's SOS/loooper, then switch over to my Recto module and do some leads over it with the neck pickup.

My Blackface module is modded as well. Overall, it is one killer sounding module!

BTW, the DD-20 can produce decent chorus sounds by itself......good enough that I don't have a dedicated chorus pedal on my board.

I use pedals through my RM100 all the time. This includes Blackface of course. I run a Choralflange, T-Rex reverb, and Guyatone delay through the loop. Through the front I run a Boss Harmonist and Retro-Sonic phaser as well as the Clyde Deluxe Wah and occassionally an OCD pedal. I only use one or two pedals at a time depending on what the song calls for. Also for a HUGE clean tone I have a Jackson guitar equipped with piezo acoustic pickup. I send the signal from my guitar to a Radial Switchbone which lets me send an acoustic signal to an SWR acoustic amp and a clean electric tone to the RM100 with Blackface. Two different clean guitar tones at once! 8)