Which modules are best for thrash metal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chak_wylde

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a rm100m but i am not sure if the modules would give me the sound that i am looking for. I'm a lead guitarist in a thrash band similar sounding to testament. I would like to get a sound like practice what you preach or first strike, still deadly with alex skolnic's lead sound from the practice album. Could anyone help me please? Jason

skolnic now plays a heritage h575 archtop and uses a tech 21 combo because he's playing on broadway shows haha! but i have an h575 also and it rules.

I say go with the xtc or the 1086. Might have a little too much gain for what youre looking for, but the xtc gets the hotrodded marshall sound like it should be done

I know the sound you speak of. Its the same sound that all the San Fransisco thrash bands had in the mid 80's. Its the Ride the Lightning and Bonded by Blood sound! There is also an obscure Stoner-metal band called Trouble that does a killer version of this tone on their song The Temper.

I've been trying to duplicate this tone for quite some time with some limited success. I use a Plexi in tandem with a Robert Keeley modified Boss SD-1. I scoop the mids on the module somewhat and turn everything on the SD-1 all the way up. This gets me pretty close. I think if I swiched to el-34 power tubes I'd probably get even closer. I think aslo going with EMG 81 in my brige instead of an 85 would also help

yeah,mid 80's thrash rules!!! ...Trouble - "The Tempter",what a killer heavy song.one of my all-time fav tunes.growing up in Chicago and getting to see Trouble constantly was awesome throughout the '83-'90 era.

MetalMajik said:
I know the sound you speak of. Its the same sound that all the San Fransisco thrash bands had in the mid 80's. Its the Ride the Lightning and Bonded by Blood sound! There is also an obscure Stoner-metal band called Trouble that does a killer version of this tone on their song The Temper.

I've been trying to duplicate this tone for quite some time with some limited success. I use a Plexi in tandem with a Robert Keeley modified Boss SD-1. I scoop the mids on the module somewhat and turn everything on the SD-1 all the way up. This gets me pretty close. I think if I swiched to el-34 power tubes I'd probably get even closer. I think aslo going with EMG 81 in my brige instead of an 85 would also help

I'm looking for something a bit closer to the tones of Reign In Blood, Master Of Puppets, Peace Sells, or Under The Influence. RTL is a bit too much on the mushy side thanks to distortion pedals in front of Marshall distortion. Some of Bonded By Blood sounds really good but some sounds a bit processed.

cool. thanks guys. Thrash is the way to go man. Testsament from 1987 to 1990. YES! So mabye the xtc for rythms and 1060 for leads? lol Chak

The Temper and The Eye are the only 2 songs from them i've heard. Sirius radio turned me on to them, they have a weekly show (hosted by Bobby Black) for Stoner, Doom, and Sluge metal and those are the 2 songs by Trouble that he plays.

The guitar tone in The Temper is my ideal Marshall sound. It has a really thick, woody midrange with a glassy top end that is less shreddy/slice'y than the sounds of Exodus or Testament. It sends shivers up my spine when I hear it