KH-Eww?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, you said you had your density at 3 o clock. Try turning that down to noon-ish and see if it sounds better :) I rarely take my density past 1:00 and I get awesome low end. Of course, I'm running 6L6's...

I never run my density above 10 o'clock with 6L6s...that's just a way to make the bass sound fake IMO..and it's not as tight either.

Depending on the module, I either put Pres and Dens both to zero, or Pres to 3:00 and Dens to 9:00. That's with an RM20 combo driving a Mesa 2x12, though, so YMMV.

I recently read some Randall MTS literature that said the Pres and Dens knobs "can be used to boost/cut the amount of ____". Do they mean that literally -- are those controls active, with 'flat' being at 12:00?

iekobrid said:
I recently read some Randall MTS literature that said the Pres and Dens knobs "can be used to boost/cut the amount of ____". Do they mean that literally -- are those controls active, with 'flat' being at 12:00?

I've been wondering this myself.

iekobrid said:
Well I'm still waiting on my 2/50, but typically pres/dens controls are passive...that is certainly the case with my JSX.

Bronco said:
typically pres/dens controls are passive... that is certainly the case with my JSX.

Yeah, that was the impression I had when I owned a JSX, too. I always left the Presence and Resonance set at 12 noon, though, just in case. :lol: (For those unfamiliar with the JSX, two of its three channels had active boost/cut tone controls, like on the XXX)

I notice the 5150/6505 manual says the Resonance knob is meant to "boost the gain of the power amp in the low frequencies at the resonance/attenuation point of the speaker cabinet." Now, whether a manufacturer really means "boost" when they say "boost" is normally open to debate, but later on the manual says:

"Power Amp EQ:
Active Presence: +10 dB @ 2 kHz
Active Resonance: + 10 dB @ cabinet resonant frequency"

Randall RM100 manual, page 4:

"Density Control: This knob boosts the amount of overall low end in your guitar tone. A master low end control that should be set to your
desired liking."

page 5:

"Density: This knob control is the master low end control for your tone. Adjust this knob up an [sic] down to control the amount of low end
density. Set each module to the desired tone, than [sic] use this knob to boost or cut the overall low end frequencies."

italics my own

I just got my RM100KH last week and it came with all three KH modules. I tried everything to get a good sound out of the KH-2 and just couldn't find settings that I liked.

Everything I've read says you have to change the tubes to get a great sound out of it.... I wasn't ready to start taking modules apart or paying for mods, so I traded it for a 1086. The 1086 kicks butt!! I even like it better than my KH-3...

Johnny

IMHO one of the better sounding clips for the KH-2 was done by audioholic

http://www.energiestudios.com/Files/KH2%20Quick%20Clip.mp3

It sounds great but he's running some serious gear, not just plugging straight into the amp....

Thanks dude. I just used a Cab sim on that clip instead of micing my amp since I have to keep it low. I will post a mic'd clip very soon. I still really like my KH2, perhaps the combo of my 2x12 cab, no density settings, and eq and tube choice all help for me to love it. Granted, its not really the best module for chugga chugga, as its a bit loose, which I like.

Micd clips coming soon. so you can hear what my amp sounds like, not just using a sim.

It's a nice soundding Rectifier type module. Only reason I'm sending my KH-2 back to the seller is it's not working.
If you like rectifier with some warmer chime on the mids, this is it. Tons of bass too, so having the density up too high might be too much woof.