Tone controls inffective on KH-1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hi,

My KH1 seems to be faulty. The tone control have no effect, and I mean no effect at all on the sound.

The gain, volume and bright switch work fine tough. I bought the module over a year ago now but it was not in the rack so I didn't take notice before.

Any idea how to get them back alive?

Sounds like a bad solder joint or part in the tone stack. Could be on any of the bass/mid/treble pots, most likely midrange pot since you can lift a ground wire off it and the entire tone stack is bypassed. (this is how a dumble 'boost' works on many of his amps).

Also could be one of the components in the tone stack - the two capactitors between the bass and mid control, the resistor just behind the mid control, and the small cap between the mid and treble control could be it too.

If It were my module, I'd take it apart and check all those parts above for cold solder joints, then I'd get out a multi meter and start checking pots.

Could be something else, that's where I'd check first. If the above didn't make any sense to you, you might want to take it to a randall repair center and see if they can work on it there.

I could probably fix it and mod it while I had it open - email me at [email protected] if you want to explore that.

Pete

Thanks for the tips Pete. My soldering skills are not really sharp so I would actaully do more arm than good to the module.

I'm also afraid the shipping from Europe to USA back and forth will be pretty expensive. I will try to get it checked locally.

Cheers

Where do you have the gain set? On some modules the higher you crank the gain the less effect the tone controls have on the sound.

Sorry steven, had no idea you weren't in the states. Any decent electronics repair shop should be able to repair it... may also be what Ned said too.

Good luck in any event, gear breaking down is a huge pain. Just for grins you might want to try to swap tubes. Doubt that is the problem, but it can't hurt.

Pete

Thanks for the advice.

I did try multiple gain settings and did indeed swap the tubes which didn't change anything. I will source somebody who can repair it locally.

Cheers