V2 Archetype new user...some question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xteus

Reaction score
HI!
My name is matteo and i'm new in this forum,
i've recently buyed a Randall V2 archetype used in demo at musikmesse 2008,i look inside the amp....what kind of valves are in this amp???
I see in the spec have Ruby 12ax7,but mine have in the pre section 3 JJ ECC83S and one JJ ECC81 in the power amp driving,not a problem the tube channel sound really good,i'm curious :D
I have other amps with tube poweramp, the randall V2 sounds a bit "cold" but it's really good for metal and it's a very versatile head, i spend some times to tweak and find a good rhytm tone and set the eq. for boost the solos...
The 2 parts guitar harmonization now in my band sound really cool because the V2 is a really hi-gain amp but at the same time quiet and clean.
The 400 transistor watts are really similar to the headroom of a 100 watt tube head with 6L6 !
For What you use the Solid State drive channel? mid gain riff? Now i use only Clean and Tube Overdrive...
Teo

Well the V2 is made for metal. I don't really know of what's called a warm tone in metal. I bias my tube amps cold to get that bite.

I don't know about the V2 other than the real crappy sound clips on the web site, all the crappy sound clips on youtube with the camcorder mics (which make even the best tube amps sound like crap), and how it's actually supposed to sound on Arch Enemy's "Rise of the Tyrant."

Julia said:
Well the V2 is made for metal. I don't really know of what's called a warm tone in metal. I bias my tube amps cold to get that bite.

I don't know about the V2 other than the real crappy sound clips on the web site, all the crappy sound clips on youtube with the camcorder mics (which make even the best tube amps sound like crap), and how it's actually supposed to sound on Arch Enemy's "Rise of the Tyrant."

I think arche enemy don't use V2 in Rise of the Tyrant... yes v2 is made for metal, i play metal,but i like mid freq and dislike the sterile modern sound without mid and really detuned.. :)
In my randall V2 archetype i have checked the tubes,near the heatsink one Ruby 12ax7 HG and the oter two ECC83S JJ,and one ECC81 in power drive,
i think ruby is in V1 position? why?
If i change the other ECC83 with ruby 12ax7 my sound change? i want to take some tests :idea:

Julia said:
Uh, I called Randall Artist Relations and got that information about the V2 on that album from them.
Ah ok... i believe you of course :D
But i know the album and the sound is really different..from a v2 in a 4x12 cab with vintage 30... i think we take too much reference in metal albums sound but it's bad..because the guitar sound is really ultra processed and with a lot of trick in recording (pan..reamping..2 or more amps,different tracks with different settings...) and is difficult to recreate a sound hear in metal album..
no one give me some info for the valve inside the archetype? a good combination of valves?
Thank you

Okay, try a NOS JAN GE 5751. They're about $25 US. Move it around in the ECC83 slots. It's very similar in output but is 70% of the gain. I find it a bit warmer and that it quiets amp noise. Usually metal amps have a lot more gain on tap than necessary -- I only run my 5150 II at 6 on the "Pre" and it's more than enough, believe me.

Yeah, and I'm learning about recording. I do a lot of reamping, and change EQ, and add some other FX in Pro Tools. I almost always split my input signal with a JDI box through the amp to hear the "gained" output, but direct input the guitar into my audio gear and record the pure clean signal, then go back and reamp at various settings.