Peavey and Marshall rig or Randall

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskpsmesane

Reaction score
Ok i went to the local music store today to try out some stuff and the closest we could get to the tone i want is this.
Peavey - JSX hooked up to 1 Marshall 1960 lead cab, and 1 Marshall 1960 vintage cab at the same time. Im planning on going down to a store that carries randall in NC sometime soon to try out the rm100 hooked up to the XL Cab. So far from hearing all the modules i think that the Blackface, Mr. Scary, and XTC would suit me the best. What do yall think of the two set ups and how would they differ from each other?

I used to have a JSX head into a G-Flex cab. It was awesome! Honestly, the clean channel on the JSX is the best I've ever used, but has no reverb. The other 2 channels were incredible too. You can't go wrong there.

However, I sold it to go with the Randall MTS stuff just because of the versatility. Randall's high gain modules just too fun to miss! Plus, my RM50B has reverb, is easier to bias and doesn't have that giant ugly chrome "S" on the front :lol:

Its funny you mentioned those three modules as thats what I have in my RM100 :) Anyway, I never tried the RM100 through a Marshall cab but I do use it through either old ADA 2x12's with Celestions or my Mesa 4x12 with Vintage 30's and I'm happy with it. I've heard the JSX in stores before, I'd go with the Randall RM100 but since you have the opportunity to play both through the cabs you want, thats the way to do it. Maybe you might like the other better after listening/playing through it.

Iv only played through the randall rm100 once and it was a long time ago. Besides that im basically going down to there to play it for the first time. I love the blackface clean clips that jim posted and the mr scary. One he started up the xtc clip it was like thats what i want but i want some more xtc clips.

the jsx is a cool head i like it a lot; but i think the randall has a lot more meat to the sound on the distortion channels and a lot less buzz. I use an XTC for my distortions and it rules.

Id say steer clear of the marshall cabs though, i had one with my RM and it sounded awful. Check out something with v-30s for sure.

-dave

the jsx is a cool head i like it a lot; but i think the randall has a lot more meat to the sound on the distortion channels and a lot less buzz. I use an XTC for my distortions and it rules.

Id say steer clear of the marshall cabs though, i had one with my RM and it sounded awful. Check out something with v-30s for sure.

-dave

ok cool thanks man. yeah so far im looking at the xtc for my main distortion. i use the jsx ultra channel with the setting on fat. tweeking those knobs at those settings gets me the closest iv gotten to my tone. hopefully the xtc will do it for me. we'll see

I run my RM100 through a peavey 5150 straight cab and it sounds killer. I am in the process of buying one more cab so I can run a wet dry wet setup.

I also have a 5150 straight cab. Today, for the first time, I plugged it into the extension plug on my RM50B and played through it along with the G12T-75 in my RM50B's cabinet. Sounded killer.