KH-3 brightswitch

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnarocker

Reaction score
I realize this has probably been answered before but I don't have time to go through 27 pages of posts and a key word search yielded little.... so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Recently got my RM100KH with all three KH modules. I traded my KH-2 for a 1086 because I couldn't get a good tone out of that module (at least one that I liked!). Now I'm playing my KH-3 and I'm not noticing much if any change when I toggle the brightswitch.

The module sounds pretty good, but since there is no change when I hit a note or chord and toggle the brightswitch, I'm a little worried that the module isn't working correctly. Has anyone else noticed this with the KH-3 module? I have seen other posts that mention the brightswitch isn't very effective under high gain situations for some modules, is that the case with this module, or do I perhaps have a defective module??

Johnny

It's most likely the issue with it being a high gain module. The switch on my Ultra XL makes it sound thin and wimpy, on my Blackface it will pierce your eardrums, and with the SL+ it thins out the bottom end and makes it a bit shrieky, like a combo of both the other two modules. I really just don't care for what it does with the low end in my modules. It makes it feel kinda like cardboard almost, if that makes sense. Flat and dry, not really spongy, just bleh.

It's worth noting that the higher you set the gain, the less effect the switch will have...

...I guess it works in tandem with the gain pot to allow high frequencies through at lower settings or something..forget what they call it now :D

I too was concerned with the bright switch on my SL+, Brahma and Scary - the effect is so very subtle. (I should do some lower gain testing). But my Plexi bright switch has a significnt effect on the tone.

The real noticable diff to me is listening to the hiss on a high gain setting and toggling the switch - you can hear a change in the hiss doing this.

So I guess it has a very subltle effect. With my setup I run bright switches on for all modules.

Mike

basically a bright switch is a treble control that is 'full volume'. As you raise your gain control it 'catches up' with the bright switch. At low settings of gain the bright switch has the most effect, at high settings of gain (not high gain, just high settings of the gain KNOB) the bright switch doesn't work because everything is at full volume.

I bet if you cut your gain to 2 or 3 and hit the bright switch you notice a difference.

Pete

More gain = more compression
More Compression = less dynamics
So basicly the bright switch is trying to show things that aren't there anymore