KH120RHS

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisebrooks06

Reaction score
is this amp any good KH120RHS, any user reviews im not finding a lot of info on it at the mo, any advice would be appreciated on how it sounds etc and whether it nails kirks tone or not
thanks

I bought the KH120RHS about week ago. The guitars that I play through this amp are primarily an Epiphone SG with EMG 81/85 and a Fender VG Stratocaster, among others. I love the crisp and rich sound that the clean channel provides, even at high volumes. There are two "overdive" channels that can be selected with a front panel button, or via a footswitch. Both sound great. There is a "Contour" dial which allows control of the mid range frequencies.

Waiting longer in order to save for the KH MTS series was not an option for me. Getting the KH120RHS amp with the cabinet containing four 12" Celestion speakers for much less than $1000.00 was too good to pass up.

My only negative is that the amp lacks some of the tonal qualities that a tube amp, or an amp with a tube based pre amp can provide. Ideally, I would have purchased the MTS series with the ability to interchange tube based pre amp modules, but that could have easily tripled the price.

Great amp, great speakers, great price!

maximus1,
You are absolutely correct in saying that you get what you pay for. I got a great amplifier and a great speaker cabinet for $720.00. I don't think that there is another 1/2 stack rig on the market that can touch what Randall provides for the money. This amp and speaker combo kicks butt. I have shopped around and this combination of amp head and speaker cabinet outshines anything in the same price range. Anybody looking at combo amps should check out the KH-120. It rocks!

Yes, I gave up the warmth of a tube amp. Yes, I gave up the ability to swap pre amp modules and change tubes and bias tubes. But, I am pimarily a keyboard player that happens to play guitar. It was easier for me to sell my better half the value of the KH-120 1/2 stack, than it would have been to sell her on the MTS series. (I wonder if adding the RM4 pre amp module and adding pre amps is possible? Any thoughts??)

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend the KH-120 1/2 stack combo to anyone on a budget.

sounds good i wondered how the ss version sounded , i heard the small 15 watter on youtube and it was yuck but 15 watts and a 5 inch speaker isn't gonna blow you away anyways, glad to hear it sounds good :twisted:

(Sorry for digging up this old thread ... don't see a need to create a new one)

I recently purchased a KH120 half-stack myself and was wondering if something like a BOSS NS-2 or an MXR M-135 (or other brand/models of noise gates/suppressors) work well on it. I really like the gain I get from this amp, even on the "lesser" gain channel, with my Ibanez RG550, but I get a bit of feedback.

Will a noise gate or suppressor tame it down ? From what I've read, the majority of people don't notice a negative effect on the tone they get from their amp/guitar when using this type of pedal.

Thanks

I've got the BOSS NS-2, MXR M-135, ISP Decimator, and Rocktron Hush (no particular order) on my "list". Looking locally for used models as well as *bay first. We'll see how the search goes.

Just snagged an MXR M135 off of the popular auction site (some forums don't allow naming it ... ???) for $50. He had it listed with a starting price of $50 and a Buy It Now price of $50. They've been selling for $80+, so I figured jump on it.