Pete's 1086 MONSTER

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crankyrayhanky said:
just arrived today....the Hype is real- Holy Cow! This is soo brutally awesome!

Destroys the EG5 for brutality and gain, unbelievable!

I keep telling people the EG5 is not a modern metal module anyway..it has the gain but not the right voicing..sure ya can fake it by messing with the Bass boost...but really it's not there.

I still need to try me a Pete 1086 but shred-o-holic sold his so fast I never got a crack at playing or buying it : :cry:

JKD said:
crankyrayhanky said:
just arrived today....the Hype is real- Holy Cow! This is soo brutally awesome!

Destroys the EG5 for brutality and gain, unbelievable!

I keep telling people the EG5 is not a modern metal module anyway..it has the gain but not the right voicing..sure ya can fake it by messing with the Bass boost...but really it's not there.

I still need to try me a Pete 1086 but shred-o-holic sold his so fast I never got a crack at playing or buying it : :cry:
JKD......you need to check out Pete's NEW 1087........
It is the BE ALL END ALL......of metal modules!!
No Shizzznit!! 8)
Full review to come!!
Danno

No difference between 1087 and the 1086 mod, 1087 fit better on a faceplate than 'mailman mod' :)

Pete

okstrat said:
No difference between 1087 and the 1086 mod, 1087 fit better on a faceplate than 'mailman mod' :)

Pete
I dont know.....Mail Man Mod has a nice ring to it! :wink:
But seriously.....Your new mod Blows me away Pete. I love that extra mid you put into it. It really floored me. I am thinking that listening to it with my Upgraded Output Transformer made a big difference as well since you make all the modules so DYNAMIC and Articulate that Mercury Magnet Tranny REALLY brought the tone out of it! But here is my FEEDBACK after doing some alone time with and also with my band. This Mod is INCREDIBLE. I dial things in Backwards and then turn down. I started out with everything up 100% and with a Boss SD-1 on as well. I was expecting a wall of HISS AND SQUEALING when I turned the volume up. Nothing. Quiet. SO I started to dial back some of the knobs and see how the chords rang out.......PERFECT. It was VERY QUIET and VERY LOUD. NO HISSING and the GAIN was cranked. Started doing some chugging riffs and then into some sweeping arpeggios. WOW! :shock:
This mod was taking everything I could throw at it and letting me hear all the tiny "flubs" that I was making. Keeps me on my toes. Blows away the Framus Cobra I had. No joke. Now....band comes over. I had it all set up from the Jam I did earlier by myself. WEll I fired the amp up and .......HIT A OPEN "A" Chord.......It sounded SOOO MEAN that my Drummer and bass player just stared at the amp. It was great. Look on their faces was priceless. They are used to me going thru amps and modules so when I told them I had something "NEW" they were like...."Sure Dan.....whatever"
But then we went right into Some old Metallica song and the rest is History! Dial the gain back till about noon and do some Van Halen or Dokken.....BUT MODERN sounding! This thing is PERFECT. Does not sound like any other module or amp out there. This is the Tone that I have been Chasing for 25 years. SUPER CRISP METAL that is PLAYABLE not some mushy mess like a lot of amps out there or the "Sizzle Fizzle" that some pass off for gain. This is PURE *** KICKING DEATH PUNCH METAL! Has the "whole amp" feel in that module. I can cop about 4 different module tones out of this ONE PERFECT MODULE. So good its ridiculous! After the Jam session my Drummer and Bass player told me...."We will beat you down if you get rid of that amp and module! DO not go TONE Chasing anymore!! Your sound is perfect." Pete.....You done it again my Friend. If you want your amp to sound the BEST IN THE METAL League.....send Pete your 1086. You will not be sorry. :twisted:
This is the BE ALL END ALL for Metal tones. If you cant get a great metal tone playing this module then something is seriously wrong.
Its just a brutal stomping machine all in a little module Labled "1087"
Did I mention it sounds good? :D HA!

all true

I saw on another post someone guessed that the 1087 was exclusively for high gain purposes- but I'm amazed at the versatility!

It does that half gain sound excellent, it has a dirty clean (I used these in a laid back blues band to high praise- they had no idea what was lurking under the hood), and get this- it actually does a crystal clean! I couldn't believe it when I dialed back the gain how awesome it was for clean shimmering tones, and you can add in an array of choices with the eq, toggle and gain options

So many facets to this mod, I love exploring the options...but yes- full tilt BEAST mode rules!

I would like to have Cobra CH2 sounding as Fear Factory tone, which one should I go?? "Pete's 1086" or..."1087"?? Because Framus Cobra has great mid-range high-gain sounding!

my 1086 mod = 1087... I just wanted something to make sure that when I did the mods they stood out. :) Same thing.

Pete

crankyrayhanky said:
all true

I saw on another post someone guessed that the 1087 was exclusively for high gain purposes- but I'm amazed at the versatility!
So many facets to this mod, I love exploring the options...but yes- full tilt BEAST mode rules!
Another thing I discovered the other day when playing it was even with the gain cranked on the module, I was surprised by rolling the guitar volume down for some Hybrid finger picking that it came across Very clean and still held its tone with out that "dying" feeling on most modules when rolling the guitar volume back. GREAT for playing Skid Row 'Monkey Business' into into the SLAMMING part(You 0ld guys remember that song?) :roll:
But what a SUPERB module and modded 1086/1087 Its the BET THING going out there for me. May not be for everyone, but dont sell this one short for strictly Metal as Crankyrayhanky mentions. One of my Favorite settings is gain at about noon and a clean boost on it(It dont need a boost at all) but.....it brings a different tone out fo the module that I am digging. Take the blinders off and play around with these modules. You will be surprised at all the different tones you can get.
Dial with the EARS....not the eyes! 8) (He is a Blind smiley and dials with ears not eye since he cant see the settings)

ok, just made a deal and received a stock 1086 as part of a package...I rememeber I didn't like this module stock before when i owned it- of course it is #1 now that is modded

So anywho, I have a stock 1086 going to battle against the Pete1087 in my rm100KH

OMG- this stock version is just not good- it's not a fair fight at all- stock is very fizzy gain, thin, lacks the body, the power that the Pete1087 employs

No doubt this 1087 is a whole new beast

I may have to make my first module video, the difference is so astounding, I think even a cheap camera mic will reveal the huge differences

+10000000000!!!!
I cant stress the KICK ASSNESS of this modded module! I just got in from playing. Man...it rules. Cant stress how BEEFY this thing is and how HEAVY AMP sounding it is. League of its own! Join the club people!! :D

crankyrayhanky said:
I may have to make my first module video, the difference is so astounding, I think even a cheap camera mic will reveal the huge differences
Yes, please do this...I for one would love to hear the difference!

TheHunter said:
Well what can I say about it HMMM.

It flat out kills :twisted:

This is my first originaly owned Pete mod, my other is a second hand Mr.Scary and I gotta tell you; that thing is just sick *** hell too. More on that later, right now the spot light goes to the 1086.

The craftsmanship on his work is just prefect, I showed this module to a fellow engineer at work (its were it was sent to) and he was astonished at the quality. VERY VERY PRO PETE. I knew on first look that this 1086 was not the one I sent off, it was a creature from another planet.

So I took it home with great anticipation, I poped it in the RM100 and set it up the way I liked it before I sent it to Pete's monster factory, to my surprise the gain switch to the right was no longer needed, this little switch now produces so much gain that you could seriously peel paint, drywall, framing and house down with it, it is lethal. So I switched the gain back to the left and boy it cleans up with this saturated drive that just sings. Personally I like the gain this way, tight and crunchy, clear and articulate. Tons of gain on this thing just tons.

It is just so versitale to boot, the gain knob now pulls out for a tighter bass responce and pushes in for a sweet singing lead type structure. Very cool.

The mid switch is just insane now, to the left you get that sweet mesa like growl, to the right is that really crunchy death metal shred, reminds me of like NAPALM DEATH or one of those older DeathMetal bandsLOL. Either way both settings are quit useable.

Now there is a pull switch on the LEVEL knob and at high volumes it was hard to distinguish what it actually does, but to my ears and the feel of the module it sounds like it changes the mid freq responce almost giving you the effect that your changing the distortion ratio or dynamics, maybe im describing that wrong, but it reminds me of the way the MESA rectumfieds have the diode switch on them, kinda like that effect.

Any way in conclusion, PETE this module just rules, so clear so clean so mothaheffing BRUTAL. THANKS SO MUCH.

Now I may have to send off my RECTO after hearing INSIGHTIBANEZ's holy crap that thing shreds too.

Im convinced that PETE has the MIDAS touch when it comes to electronics.

Thnaks PETE.

I just got one too. I love the sound! Did you figure out what the level push pull does? I paid for a tightness switch but i can't figure out what it does except change the feel a bit when you pull it out (drier maybe). anyway, it seems the extra gain boost i had him put that in. the gain switch is connected to the c3 and when you engage it, makes it looser and when you take it out, tighter. I love the effect but wish there was a seperate tightness control as i'd like to be able to make it tight with the gain engaged and loose with it out depending on the music for super heavy rythm and leads that arent so saturated instead of having a push pull that basically makes it looser with the super crunch and tighter without. I love the effect but what is the other (volume push pull) switch for? your thoughts?

yours truly,
Angel

if you just got yours in the last week or so, it's probably just like the one I received
The gain toggle (where the bright used to be) goes between regular and extra gain
The gain knob push pull gives tight/loose
The master vloume push/pull is a more gentle effect- I think it adds the bright, but since I'm always gained up, it's hard to hear...probably lower gaion settings should make this more apparent

Of course Pete did a few different versions of this mod over the last year, so I'm not sure what you have

Sorry Angel, been stupid busy and on top of that, one of the users that came to our conference (where I've been all week) brought the flu with them and gave me a dose.

Note to self, next time when shaking a lot of hands, get some purell...

anyways - the gain knob is a push/pull switch as you already know. It changes the tightness of the low end. It can be subtle depending on your cab and volume level or VERY apparent. Play a muted low E string and while chugging on that, pull the gain knob out. Listen for a few, then push it back in.

If you play in a bedroom at low volumes or a cab that doesn't have a lot of bass, you may not hear much of a difference but it is there. It also changes the feel of notes - pushed in should be rounder tone and bassier, pulled out should be a little sharper on the attack (not added high end, just a little less bottom) and tighter.

Pete

It's cool Pete, anyone with a talent as pure as yours has got to be in demand. I think we forget that when we're sitting here thinking about your amp. BTW, Thanks for the amp. I love it!

Here's my Review:
OH MY GOD! I got my Pete 1086 last week and DUDE! It's like Blat Dat Dat chunka chunka! I mean he took a decent sound and made a trademark perfect rythm module. It's so clear and warm. Pulling the gain knob like Pete said gives you a tight rythm sound and pushing it in gives you a warmer looser higher gain sound. They compliment each other very well. The module is very versatile and has a great sound. It sounds as good as any amp out there. Now, I don't have the MM tranny upgrade but that's coming next week. I've been bugging Pete about the next mods he's making for me because this one is just so great. I can't wait to have an amp full of GIGMODS preamps. I ordered an Ultra modded to XL (except treble pot) and Recto mod, both with all the toppings. He's just waiting on the custom plate for my Ultra (those look soo badass and scream "I'm custom"). I don't know if he's started the recto yet but I keep my fingers crossed. So I figure I'll have the 1086 for rythm and leads, the XL for liquid smooth leads and finesse rythm and the recto for at least rythm and maybe leads. (Pete says he makes it with less gain but better tone so it might be better for rythm.) I don't know what the level push pull does exactly but I think it was described very well as almost like changing the settings on the back of a mesa rec. It definitely changes the feel and a bit of the sound but is most apparent to the person playing. Pete, I'm not sure if it was a typo but I believe you said the gain knob does tightness but what I wanted to know is about the level knob. I don't want to give any secrets but let's just say it looks like the gain knob does both gain and tightness and I'm not sure what the level does exactly but to my eyes it doesn't look like it changes that standard part we mod for bottom end tightness (i'll clarify pm if you need). All in all, it's a trademark module for a trademark sound. If you're trying to decide on another module or getting this done, it's a no brainer. If you're a Metal guitarist and don't have one of these, it's worth the 500 dollars for the mod and Pete's work. It's that good. If I could have one trademark sound to distinguish myself, it'd be 1086 by Turley.

Rock on.
-Angel

P.S. is In or out tight for level?

Thanks!

Sorry, level changes boost frequencies - one is full range, one is midrange and above so your low end doesn't mush up. It is pretty subtle, I may make it where it only does a boost so people can hear what it's doing more easily.

Pete

I continue to battle stock 1086 vs Pete 1087
I always bash stock 1086, but I guess it has a purpose, that razor abrasive Dimebag/Disturbed tone- the tight sound works good for extreme low tunings

Pete1087 really is a whole different module, apples to oranges
I'll have some clips soon