rm100KH vs rm100: Transformer and Choke upgrade (?)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
There is this underground swell of replacing the transformers (and choke) in the rm100 and getting imprtoved tone/clarity

I've read where if you take an rm100 and pump up the density, you can get the tone from the rm100KH...I'm curious if there are any other differences as far as the Transformers and choke- does the kh model have better quality parts inside? The real question is would a MM transformer and choke be a worthwhile upgrade on the rm100KH?

Anyone who has had both amps with some insight would be mucho appreciato

i just got kh and they sound a lot different. kh can't get the openness but has a lot more smoothness and boom. It also doesn't hurt the ears when directly in front of the speaker like my rm100 does. however, like I said, mine sounds a lot different. the low end is huge and deeper the the presence is much higher but so far I haven't been able to get my pete 1086 to sound as great as it does in the regular amp. I'm sure that's cuz Pete tuned it in a rm100. the hamett mods sound sick in the rm100kh - way better than in the stock amp. you can turn up the mids but it's just a different sound, very scooped. it's a great sound but the mods don't sound the same. the cleans are less piercing and are really nice. the distortion is less fizzy and no ice pick. It feels really nice to play but doesn't sound the same. BTW, turning up the density knob is not the same thing. the two amps sound a lot different. even turning down the density all the way doesn't really make it sound like the rm100. the rm100kh just has a different sound and response all around.

-Angel

they are the exact same chassis' guys. really...the only difference is in the power section which has a little more "thump" in it. (more low end) it can be dialed out just like a rm100.

don't read into things...preamp tubes, power amp tubes, biasing, cords, speakers...all that makes a difference. as little as a 5 volt difference in the ac going into the amp makes it sound very different. (not to menion changes the bias)