1087 First Impressions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Two words....Crazy Versatile!

I still can't say I'm sold on the high gain tones out of it but with two gain levels, mid voicing switch and double push/pull treatment from Pete the combinations are endless.

Only downer with the push/pull pots is the change in taper...it's already high gain at 9o'clock :D

Passed (sold) mine on to morgmetal already....I guess this settle my odyssey with the 1086 and morbid curiosity with the 1087..I just don't like the base tone of it :-/

JKD said:
the 1087..I just don't like the base tone of it :-/

How would you describe the tone? Are there any specific music/playing styles you think it would be better for than your own, or any non-Randall amps it sounds similar to?

I own a stock 1086 now, and would appreciate a little detailed perspective on the '87 upgrade to balance all the "Awesome! Works great for EVERYTHING!" reviews. (Which I do believe, mind you! It's that tone can be so irritatingly subjective -- one man's feast is another man's famine.) :/

I don't know how I'd describe the 1086 base tone but it's like a grainy mesa/marshall hybrid or something...

The stock mod takes the base tone of the 1086 and warms it up a little bit.....didn't have a stock 1086 alongside it but clarity is probably improved at higher gain settings and volumes.

The Bass is a switchable c3 change...I never use it in it's higher settings, seems overwhelming in my cabs...maybe at *very* low volumes it would work.

The switchable gain boost on there is pretty cool since it seems to thicken up the module somewhat in the mids.

JKD said:
I don't know how I'd describe the 1086 base tone but it's like a grainy mesa/marshall hybrid or something...

The stock mod takes the base tone of the 1086 and warms it up a little bit.....didn't have a stock 1086 alongside it but clarity is probably improved at higher gain settings and volumes.

The Bass is a switchable c3 change...I never use it in it's higher settings, seems overwhelming in my cabs...maybe at *very* low volumes it would work.

The switchable gain boost on there is pretty cool since it seems to thicken up the module somewhat in the mids.

Stevo we have the same tastes brutha.......me no likie the 1086 fuzziness either...

i got a stock one for modding but i 'm thinking i may hold out until i get my kh-3 back from pete :twisted:

shred-o-holic said:
JKD said:

Stevo we have the same tastes brutha.......me no likie the 1086 fuzziness either...

+1.

I've owned 2 1086 modules and have sold/traded them within a week...LOL. Thanks for the review!