ouch - new mods I found on a client's module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
BTW, person who sent me this module bought it from someone else. They didn't do the work, just mentioned to me it was modded, went into details about the 100v parts and I asked to have a closer look.

100vmod.jpg

First one is the '100 volt orange drop mod'. *yikes*.

Second one is the 'leave the legs on your orange drop caps real long so you can solder from the top and not have to mess with the time consuming task of taking the module apart' mod

Third is the 'burn the board' mod for hotter sounds. Yikes part II.

Module is getting rehabbed, but just... wow. Sometimes a little knowledge can be dangerous, ya know? Since I was the first person to start putting OD's and do mods beyond the C3 stuff in modules I feel a little responsible, but not that much.

Sometimes the original is better than a photocopy. :) I may put up a pic of this on my website and start a page dedicated to mods gone wrong. I've seen some whoppers. I've seen a few that were obviously inspired by stuff I've done but they went in the wrong direction. Won't affect the reliability of the module, but the tone is going to suffer a bit.

Pete

well "brahma" is the hindu god of creation, change..... maybe pete will create something great from this?

it wouldn't fire up when I tried it - so call it a Lazarus module. :)

It WILL arise from the dead!

Pete

kc2eeb said:
60/40 Rosin core solder should do it. I usually use a solder sucker or desoldering gun and then, if necessary, desoldering braid to clean up the
PC board traces. Use a temperature controlled iron and use enough heat but not too much. Practice on a scrap board first. The idea is to not apply
too much heat for too long so you don't lift the trace off the board. You can melt a small drop of solder on the tip and then apply that to the connection which will melt the solder faster. Hope this helps! Pat L.

okstrat said:
it wouldn't fire up when I tried it - so call it a Lazarus module. :)

It WILL arise from the dead!

Pete

Thanks Pete!!! You called it, what a HACK
JOB and a beauty I bought off ebay!!!!!!!!! :shock: :? :cry: :lol:

More than likely the issue is that some of the burned spots covered up where they damaged traces on the top of the PCB. It might not be as pretty as one that never got burned up, but I'll make it roar!

:)

Pete

Latest posts