Who has done the .001 cap mod to the XTC or Ultra modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I just picked up an RM50 head and I have to say it sounds great! I have the Blackface (outstanding clean, better than the Fender Supersonic IMO), Ultra and XTC modules (all are blackstripe). I think the distortion modules sound great, but I'm curious if doing the .001 cap mod would be worthwhile since I like the idea of a tight high gain sound. I believe both modules have the .022 cap in there now. Thanks in advance!

I believe modding the cap to a .001 gives you the ability to push more gain in to the power amp without getting muddy. I think you should give it a try.

It will also take some of the WOOOMP out of your palm mutes...which is not a bad thing. This module has more than enough WOOOMP to go around, Especially if you use the stock ruby 6l6 power tubes

yes,both modules(blackstripe versions)have a .0022u cap from the factory.i had a reg Ultra(blackstripe)module & changed it to a .001u cap.i was not happy with it,at all.you will end up losing way too much bottom end in the process & the tone gets so compressed that the highs,mids & lows become all mushed up...i,then,compared my modded-Ultra module(with the .001u cap)with another factory(.0022u cap)Ultra module & realized 100% that the .0022u cap works & sounds BEST on this module...plenty of tight chugging,strong bottom end,yet with an open tone.

It depends on the Cabs you're using too. If your cab can't put out the Low end, then the .001 mod will just make you sound thin and tinny. Best part about the mods is they're reversable

I have Recto cabs (2x12 and 4x12 traditional), so low end isn't a problem.

What about doing it to the SL+ module? I'm thinking of grabbing that one too...

Like I said, you can always put it back if you don't like it. Also you could install both caps to an on/on switch then wire the switch into the board. Another member did this but I can't find the link

the same goes for the SL+...i found it to sound best,overall,with the .0022u cap(stock on the blackstripe version)...i think Randall Amps realized the same thing after switching from the .0047u cap,which the first generation-silverface series came with.that's why almost all of the newer blackstripe version modules come stock with the .0022u capacitor...food for thought...

You can also get caps with in-between values. I used a .0018 on my XTC because the .001 sucks all the warmth out of the tone IMO. Try different values an find one you like.