SL+ thin sound...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the Randall SL+ module thinner/less lowend than the Plexi?

No matter how I tweak it it still sounds thinner than my Plexi module..
I have did a cap mod to it a while back.. but I don't now if it did that much difference...

hmm...that's odd. i haven't run in to that issue, although i must admit that i haven't done a direct a/b comparison against a plexi. i think i have my treble down a bit, with the mid and bass up and it doesn't seem thin to me. of course there are many variables and my impression of a thin tone might be different from yours. what value did you use for the cap mod?

the SL+ is my favorite module :) if you end up not liking it, let me know--i'm looking for another one!

The thing is that in my head I thought the SL+ should be a bit like a more "gainish" more distortion version of the Plexi..

So setting up my SL+ as a Solo channel, but never seams to get that fat sound/tone that I get from the Plexi..

I think I'll sell/trade this one along with my Clean and Recto module and just buy two more Plexi modules instead..

I read the tone article on the cap mods again..
Maybe I'm fooled myself..

Cap mods decribed says lower value .001 gives "tight pick attack"..

Maybe It's should be a value like 0047u or 0022u to get what I want :oops:

that might be worth a shot--it would be quicker and easier than buying all new modules. you could also try swapping out preamp tubes. there was one brand (i think it was RFT) that distort quickly and sound amazing. i put one in my SL+ and i love it.

That's odd. I have a stock silverface SL+ and i actually think it has too much bass and not enough midrange/highs....I Really like how it sounds, but it doesn't capture that crisp open marshall tone as well as the plexi pushed with an overdrive IMO. I still have both and they sound great for their own uses....the sl+ does a good zakk tone though, while the plexi does an awesome 70's zeppelin rock tone

Do the midrange stack mod on Grailtone. Makes a huge difference in the SL+. The SL+ also sounds best with EL34's as opposed to 6L6's---IMO.