Recording with ISOLATION cab and Mic Eliminator

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leatherface

Reaction score
Hello. I'm just interested in buying a cab for home recording, and I don't know wich one to choose. Thinking about Randall Isolation cab and cab with Mic Eliminator. Iso cab seems to be nice, but I can't try it before purchasing. Can I get a fat massive sound out of this box? Or mic eliminator will work better? Just curious. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

I haven't tried the iso cab, but I have a Randall 2x12 and the mic eliminator on it didn't sound as good as mic'ing the cab with an SM57. The tone was roughly the same, but the mic elim sounded harsher. Also, you can't run the mic elim without powering the speakers, so you might as well mic the cab.

If you have a decent computer and recording interface, impulse responses are an option. You could take the preamp out of an RM4 or RM20 (in silent mode) into your computer and apply an impulse response of a guitar cab to it.

Ugg said:
I haven't tried the iso cab, but I have a Randall 2x12 and the mic eliminator on it didn't sound as good as mic'ing the cab with an SM57. The tone was roughly the same, but the mic elim sounded harsher. Also, you can't run the mic elim without powering the speakers, so you might as well mic the cab.

If you have a decent computer and recording interface, impulse responses are an option. You could take the preamp out of an RM4 or RM20 (in silent mode) into your computer and apply an impulse response of a guitar cab to it.
I'd imagine blended with a miced sound it could sound great! Kinda like how you can use a G12T-75 in the studio if the other guitarist is using like a V30 or something.

I tried the isolation cabinet and it's excellent. Running the amp at my normal level (fairly loud) the speaker sounds very good. Closing the cabinet lid drops the level outside of the cabinet to about the level of a set of headphones sitting open (with balanced bass). I tried it with the Avant mic that's similar to an SM57, a real SM57, Sennheiser 421, and an AKG414 and it didn't need any significant eq tweaking for recording.