MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Egnater & Randall MTS Amp

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording with ISOLATION cab and Mic Eliminator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leatherface
RM20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Recording with ISOLATION cab and Mic Eliminator Reply with quote

Hello. I'm just interested in buying a cab for home recording, and I don't know wich one to choose. Thinking about Randall Isolation cab and cab with Mic Eliminator. Iso cab seems to be nice, but I can't try it before purchasing. Can I get a fat massive sound out of this box? Or mic eliminator will work better? Just curious. Any suggestions will help. Thanks.
Ugg
RM100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the iso cab, but I have a Randall 2x12 and the mic eliminator on it didn't sound as good as mic'ing the cab with an SM57. The tone was roughly the same, but the mic elim sounded harsher. Also, you can't run the mic elim without powering the speakers, so you might as well mic the cab.

If you have a decent computer and recording interface, impulse responses are an option. You could take the preamp out of an RM4 or RM20 (in silent mode) into your computer and apply an impulse response of a guitar cab to it.
jgastineau
RM20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got a Randall ISO cabinet in this week. I'll try it in the studio next week and post the results.
Leatherface
RM20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Smile
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugg wrote:
I haven't tried the iso cab, but I have a Randall 2x12 and the mic eliminator on it didn't sound as good as mic'ing the cab with an SM57. The tone was roughly the same, but the mic elim sounded harsher. Also, you can't run the mic elim without powering the speakers, so you might as well mic the cab.

If you have a decent computer and recording interface, impulse responses are an option. You could take the preamp out of an RM4 or RM20 (in silent mode) into your computer and apply an impulse response of a guitar cab to it.
I'd imagine blended with a miced sound it could sound great! Kinda like how you can use a G12T-75 in the studio if the other guitarist is using like a V30 or something.
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB
jgastineau
RM20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the isolation cabinet and it's excellent. Running the amp at my normal level (fairly loud) the speaker sounds very good. Closing the cabinet lid drops the level outside of the cabinet to about the level of a set of headphones sitting open (with balanced bass). I tried it with the Avant mic that's similar to an SM57, a real SM57, Sennheiser 421, and an AKG414 and it didn't need any significant eq tweaking for recording.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Egnater / Randall Modular Amps All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: