1086 Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlingen

Reaction score
Does the 1086 really have that high of gain? When using the secondary switch, is that how they get a Plexi to Recto type sound differance. And does it really sound like a Recto - Treadplate module?

I had a used 1086 that had less gain then the Mr. Scary that I have. Before selling the 1086, I should have switched the tubes to see if that was why.

I also have a Ultra XL but it's not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

But does it really have allot of gain too? I'm looking for a high gain preamp that will cut through the mix also. The Ultra XL I have is to compressed imo.

That doesn't sound right at all. My 1086 has a fair bit more gain than my Mr. Scary. It doesn't sound a whole lot like my Egnater E-Rect which is the Egnater version of Treadplate. E-Rect is smoother with not as much mid-scoop. Still sounds pretty thick and there is plenty of gain there too. The 2 are different and I like em both.

Swap both preamp tubes with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH's and you should be good to go. I owned both the 1086 and Mr. Scary (at the same time) and will tell you there is no way the Mr. Scary has more gain than the 1086, so either your preamp tubes are going (kinda weird...) or there is an issue with the module itself. The 1086 has gain that I would say falls between a high gain marshall and a boogie. If you want the real Mesa sound, pick up the Egnater E'Rect module. I know you can't use the second channel but the first channel through a Randall head sounds killer! I tried it with my RM50HB and it sounded awesome, like a 50 watt Recto! :D

guitarguy510 said:
Swap both preamp tubes with Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH's and you should be good to go. I owned both the 1086 and Mr. Scary (at the same time) and will tell you there is no way the Mr. Scary has more gain than the 1086, so either your preamp tubes are going (kinda weird...) or there is an issue with the module itself. The 1086 has gain that I would say falls between a high gain marshall and a boogie. If you want the real Mesa sound, pick up the Egnater E'Rect module. I know you can't use the second channel but the first channel through a Randall head sounds killer! I tried it with my RM50HB and it sounded awesome, like a 50 watt Recto! :D

How about the gain on the first channel? I'm kind of intrested in the E-rect cause what you just said, that it sounds like a Mesa.

How is the egnater recto module different than the Randall recto one? And for the first channel on the Egnaters, does it have enough gain? (same as the randall recto w/ cap mod?).

Thanks for info. :]