Pre-amp Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a gaggle of pre-amp tubes (spares/replacemets) to ship to my place in the Phils. What would be a good over all choice for a high gain junky? I guess I could get more that one brand but I was looking to keep it simple. Whats would be your tube of choice for thick *** rich gain?

That kinda depends on the amp you want to use them on. I think in general, Chinese (Shuguang) 8th or 9th gen are good. Also, I like the Sovtek LPS (killer in mesa rectos). Also the Tung Sol, but I dont think it has quite the gain as the other 2.

You are right on with the Tung Sol description. The gain is not as high as the other two you had mentioned but I think are more musical overall. I just went the other way in my tweed. I have a source of NOS Phillips 12AT7's for $15 a piece. It really made the tweed sound more tweedy! It had EH's in it prior. I wanted it to be a little cleaner because I have the plexi and the 1086 for crunch. The EH's are a little more grittier to me. The guys at the Tube Depot down in Memphis recommended the Sovtek LPS for high gain too.

droptrd said:
That kinda depends on the amp you want to use them on. I think in general, Chinese (Shuguang) 8th or 9th gen are good. Also, I like the Sovtek LPS (killer in mesa rectos). Also the Tung Sol, but I dont think it has quite the gain as the other 2.

These will be strictly for modules that I will use in the Lynch Box RM100LB. I am going with JJ re-tube kits from Eurotubes for my other amps.