Singing Lead Tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickgk

Reaction score
Hey There,

I am looking for a singing lead tone that is thick and fizz/buzz free with lots of sustain and is easy to control, i have the following modules, Mr Scary, Grail, Ultra Lead, Ultra, XTC, 1086, UltraXL, Top Boost & Recto but nothing quite nails what i am after, to get the sustain i want i have to turn the gain up to the point of too much fizz.... any other ideas?, the Ultra Lead is close but it has some very strange stuff going on with it's frequencies, i cap modded it and it is now more controllable but still has something strange going on. I just can't set my modules up to get the response and lead tone i was getting back in the old days with my old rigs marshalls/preamps etc
I am thinking i may have to go with an egnater module.... or maybe sell the RM4 for an M4 or a Triaxis.

Hi,

Have you tried to set the module volume higher ???

This way you get more signal going to the power amp stage and more compression, with this kind of setting (more than 12 o'clock on the mod volume and lower setting on the master volume) i can achieve low volume feedback with almost any mods i have.

FYI i'm using a LesPaul Standard, a StratPlus and an Ibanez in my RM100 with E34L's with MTS 4x12 cab loaded with V30's. The mods i use are BlackFace, Tweed, Plexi, SL+, Recto and XTC. I also tried the JTM and Ultra with same results.

Also maybe trying to set your presence lower will remove some of the ''fizz/buzz'' you are relating to.

Hope that helps.

...if you cant get the singing lead tone that you're looking for out of the Mr Scary,XTC or Ultra Lead modules,then i think you've about exhausted all that the mts series has to offer,at this time...maybe try a different amp brand altogether.just a suggestion...

My Super Lead module sustains for days and has a very nice lead tone. It is one of the first edition types (non black stripe) and has not been modded.

+1 on what Spencer4hire said...my SL+ module(newer blackstripe version-no mods) has a great lead & rhythm tone equally.of all the mts series modules,the SL+ is my favorite one...you may want to look into the Brown module.it has more gain than the Plexi module,but a tad less than the SL+.it has a little more mids & smoother highs than the SL+,without any buzzyness/harshness at all...just a thought!

As I read this I was thinking the Brown module as well. Organic and Warm, with a liquidy burning sustain, but NOT gainy. I don't use this module much... but when I want THAT sound, it works well.

Generally speaking there are a few tricks to make a lead tone sing. Compression is crucial: Either you can use valve-compression (but that means higher gain and probably more buzz) or you can use a compressor for that. Obviously reverb, delay and chorus - even to rather high gain settings - work magic to your tone.

+ 1 on the opinions offered by Goldwing and Nuskool about the Brown module. I have the Egnater EG3 which is my favorite and the Brown mod is very close. I go for the same sound you are describing. Also + 1 on the opinion that opening up the master volume is crucial. It's a matter of toying around with volumes to get the right level. I generally run my gain and master ON THE MODULE at about 1:00 to 2:00 O'clock and then set the master on the amp to how loud I want to be.

Your XTC module is a GREAT lead mod...

I was playing at practice yesterday, and I had the XTC gain at around 2:30 - and I threw in some nice long-delay; along with my neck pickup. Man was it nice...