PeteTopBoost!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
This one arrived with much anticipation- I put in the order back in November knowing that I wouldn't need it for awhile during my move cross country...many days wondering what it would be like...

I am floored. It is a great module, truly distinct from the rest of my arsenal. I ordered the stock topboost used and had it shipped directly to Pete's shop. At this point, I have oodles of confidence in the work, as I am thrilled with all of the pieces I sent his way. So, to be fair, I have no idea what a stock topboost sounds like other than the clips I find online. But I do know that this Petemodule is awesome.

Out of the box, I always look for the hi gain tones. I never played through a Vox, but I watched my buddy play through lots of amps in a high end studio before settling in on a Vox for a weekend of tracking- thus I feel as familiar as one can without actually playing one. This mod definetly ooozes with that Vox midrange coolness. I stomp on my ZW OD for extra edge with a Les Paul and I am totally inspired by the lead tones and crunchy rhythm- it is very full bodied- and I bet it would cut through a rock mix in a sweet way.

I have a push pull gain feature which is great. This unit gets to a clean sound that is not clean at all with a LP- yet rings through with definition and clarity. I usually like my cleans crystal- but this dirty clean is fun. That in between 1/2 gain 70s rock tone is very attainable too, and probably the strength of this for most players.

This is my first impression- and i would write more, but I'm going back to my axe, cranking up the gain, and bending some notes- THANKS AGAIN PETE! :D

addendum: this mod cleans up real well , especially on lower gain settings and a slight roll back on the guitar's v knob

crankyrayhanky said:
addendum: this mod cleans up real well , especially on lower gain settings and a slight roll back on the guitar's v knob

i wonder how close Pete's mod sounds to the super v???? i love my super V ... and it cleans up really really well even with the gits volume full on.!! imo ....

Glad you like that Vox mod ... I too had never played or even heard a Vox mod before i had me hands on the super V ... and it turned out to be my favorite module ...

hyenik's clip on the V is impressive, I don't know how close this is...but I know this is killer!

I swear it's making me a better player jammin on Petemods- I've always struggled to get the right technique on sweeps and this tBoost is really lighting it up...I guess the clarity reveals all, forces me to play more accurate

I knew it would have halfdriven Vox flavor, but I didn't expect it would give me the hi gain quality-I'll get some shred clips up when I can...

Sounds like a cool mod. I have been thinking about sending Pete my TB as well as my Treadplate.

riff man said:
i wonder how close Pete's mod sounds to the super v???? i love my super V ... and it cleans up really really well even with the gits volume full on.!! imo ....

Glad you like that Vox mod ... I too had never played or even heard a Vox mod before i had me hands on the super V ... and it turned out to be my favorite module ...

I sent Pete my Super V..... so when I get it back I will post here!!!!

but I am sure he will make it sound 11 times better.

New application update:
I'm jammin' in a Bluesier band, using my strat though the PeteTweed for the just the perfect tone

Well, the band decided to jam at my house, and I gave my tweed to the rhythm player...looking for something to "get me by" I stumbled into the PeteTopboost-Wow! This mod surprised me the way it just melded into that cool Strat vibe! Responded like the Tweed, but with the Vox flavor!

This module continues to surprise- hi gain chunks, saturated lead, dirty Vox, clean vox, it is a chameleon!

BTW, I had a stock SuperV for a few weeks to compare, it fell way short- really lacked the low end body that PeteTopboost has. To my ears the SuperV was way to shimmering and thin...but to each their own, in other hands, it may work- for me the Gigi-TBoost is the Vox mod