Which Wah?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbjonz

Reaction score
I am looking for a Wah...Which one would you choose.

Dunlop- Dimedag
Dunlop- EVH
Dunlop- Slash
Morley- George Lynch dragon 2
Morley- Tremonti
Morley- Bad Horsie

I used to own a Dunlop 535Q, which people say is almost identical to the Dime one. it was a pretty versatile and useable wah. I really want to try Kirk Hammett's new signature one, but i haven't owned a wah in a year or so.

Never tried the Morley ones or the EVH, but the Dime is probably my choice out of the ones you listed.

I like my Crybaby 535Q
Its not on your list, but when I tried it against other brands I liked it best. Granted, I am not doing ultr distorted music..but for Slash sounds and the like I think it does a good job.
GtrGeorge

I like my Dunlop Wylde wah just fine...what kind of music do you play? Do you need the wah for cleans or solos or both?

sorry I didn't see your list man...out of those the Dime wah is the only one I have experience with and I loved it. It's pretty much the 535q but it looks cooler haha

I think the Morley is a bit more user friendly then the Dunlop. Theres so many versions of the Dunlop out there its hard to find the right one to get as well.
I just like that the Morley activates when you touch it rather then depressing the button. And the correct answer is if possible try them and what sounds and works for you is the best one,

go to myspace.com/georgebarrysolo
hear the short instrumental "Smackdown"

Its ALL me and my 535Q wah wah pedal.

comments welcome.
GtrGeorge

I had 2 Morley's....didn't like the "feel"

I had several Dunlop wahs including, the original, the 535Q and the Cry Baby/Distortion (discontinued)
I now use a Teese RMC Joe Walsh signature model....but if I were buying right now, it would be a Fulltone Clyde deluxe.

My 2?

The wahs you have listed each have a different feel. I would a Dunlop and a Morley and see which one you like the best. I am a fan of the Morleys and don't like the feel of Dunlops.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. They each have a unique character to them. Depends on which feels right for you.

I didn't see one on your list, but i thought i would add that I started my search for wah's with a Crybaby JH-1, sounded pretty good at the time but didn't nail any of those metallica wah tones i wanted, so i went through every wah you can name once i got working and only letley i though i had settled on the morely tremonti wah, but i saw a kid using a wah and it sounded so terrible that i had to look at it, anyway i went over and tried it out with my freind there to show him how horrible it was, but to my amazement it was fantastic, i don't know what the little kid was doing but he was doing something wrong, anyway it is now my new fav wah, and I've been using it for little over a year and i still love it you can get pretty much any wah tone you are looking for try one out, and don't let the name fool you it great

Ibanez Weeping Demon WD-7

VOX Fulltone Clyde or RMC, for what you would pay for a SIG series wah like the Slash or the Zakk Wylde, you can get a original VOX clyde McCoy or a RMC Picture, or Wizard WAH, i have owned 2 Morleys (classic and bad horsie) and hated them both, they sounded fake kinda like the built in wah in a line 6 FPV. When you buy a SIG pedal you are mainly paying for the name on the pedal, if you are gonna spend the money get a RMC!

I am now about to release my secret weapon wah...

The Dunlop Bass Wah

I bought it for Bass, but immediately realized it rocks on guitar...here's my story...

I had previously played Morley Bad Horsie which was great for whammy bar harmonics- the upper frequencies were terriffic; it also has an auto off feature which is incredible. But it didn't have the body and tone of my original Dunlop and Hendrix Dunlop. The Dunlops are far superior in tone, but there's no auto off, so it drove me crazy!

The Dunlop Bass Wah has the auto off, as well as a Q and volume controls on the side, ensabling it to go from low end bass happy material to normal Dunlop to hi end Morley. And I think the circuit allows the original signal to pass through on the low end of the eq spectrum (?)

Regardless, this is the only wah I've played where people would flock to my board to see/investigate what wah I was using for my live shows.

Outstanding...added bonus if you play bass as well!

Not meaning to add one to the list that isn't there, but here goes:
I use a morley bad horsie and have absolutely fallen in love with the switchless feature. It fixes two major problems i've always had with wah's.

One being that sometimes your "toe-switch" kung fu is not righteous and you don't realize you didn't push down hard enough to turn it off until you are on the other side of the stage (very suck-tastic).

The second is that most wah parts sound better when you to start in the heel down position which means that as you turn it on and crank it to the heel you get this quick "OOWWWW" sound. Not the worst thing but one that you will be glad is gone when you go switchless.

That being said i really recommend switchless. If i had to choose i'd go with the Crybaby 95Q since it is switchless, has the Q knob, and has the most excellent Crybaby sound.

Food for thought.

Peace, Joshua

The dimebag rules! I have the Tremonti but it doesn't sound throaty enuff so I keep goin back to my Dimebag wah...