Can I run one Module a in RM100 head? Can I run it in 50w?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongh1217

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a RM100 head this week, but my dealer only got a Ultra model in stock with a RM100 head, so if I buy the head, can I run with only 1 module loaded?

and I am wondering if I can run the Head in 50W by pulling 2 tubes out? If so, which two should I pull?

I'm pretty sure you can run it with two tubes out. . . I vaguely remember someone on here talking about that.

You can definitely run with a single module.

GaryMcT said:
I'm pretty sure you can run it with two tubes out. . . I vaguely remember someone on here talking about that.

You can definitely run with a single module.

Thanks heaps!!!

dough,

You can also load it with 6V6's which will drop the wattage to about 50w and will also give you a mid boost that will help cut through the mix - this only applies in a band setting.

I have never pulled tubes from one of my amps...but I do remember seeing in many such on-line discussions that if you do pull tubes, you will need to adjust the ohms setting on your amp.

In other words, you should no longer set the amp to 8 ohms when connecting to an 8 ohm cabinet. Unfortunately, I cannot remember in which direction you should adjust your amp's ohm switch (up to 16 or down to 4)...

Hopefully someone will come along with the answer. In the meantime, I'd advise you not to pull any tubes til you get this clarified.

Lastly, I would tell you that the volume difference between a 100 watt head and a 50 watt head is negligible.

Hey welcome man! I know that you would pull the two OUTSIDE tubes, and leave the inside ones. I also remember hearing as gold mentioned above that you might have to change the cabinet impedence to avoid damaging your amp, so check that out first. I would say try to CALL (don't email... they don't usually write back...) Randall Customer Service and see if they can explain it better to you. You can definately run the amp with anywhere from 1-3 modules at a time, I know because for a while I only had the Recto! lol One last thing, as mentioned above running at 50 watts really won't change much of the headroom honestly... I just got my 50 watt VHT power amp to use with my RM4 and it is pretty much as loud as my 100 watt RM100 head was! :twisted:

Thanks guys for the infromation, I will e-mail randall today see if they can help!!

the only reason I wish to drop to 50w is I own a 1X12 cab load with G12T-75 driver. Hence I wish I can still use my 1X12 cab or I must get another 100w cab. Because I play at home, I really don't want go for a bigger cab for home use.

and I perfer the look of metal gril rm100 over RM50(sounds bit stupid, but anyway :oops: )

Thanks heaps guys, hope I can become a randall owner soon! :D

ned said:
You can also load it with 6V6's...

Really?? Does this mean I could load one side, or both, on the rt2/50 with 6v6's? I'd love to have one side running an alnico blue...

Yes but they must be JJ's, then bias between .18 and .25

I spoke with technical support at Randall today and was told that as long as the impedence on the head matches the cabinet no adjustment is needed when changing tubes. I am going to switch the 6L6s to 6V6s on my RM100 and was told just make sure they match.

Panic said:
I spoke with technical support at Randall today and was told that as long as the impedence on the head matches the cabinet no adjustment is needed when changing tubes.

I agree with that statement...but please don't confuse "changing tubes" with "pulling tubes"...the latter referring to the practice of running the amp with 2 instead of 4 power tubes.

6V6 without any problem only re-biassing?

Can it handle the plate voltage correctly and safely?