Sellers remorse

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehuk

Reaction score
Do you guys ever get sellers remorse after selling a module? I have an Ultra XL that I'm considering selling because my DF module covers 95% of the tones. The problem is that I don't know if I'll end up missing the other 5% and have to hunt for another one.

I do sometimes, but only if I feel I haven't spent enough time with the module I sold. But, many modules get similar tones, so you have to find the one that fits your playing style, guitar, speakers, boosters, etc...

FWIW, I sold my U/XL within a week of having it.

I sell just about EVERYTHING!
Sickness I know.....
Usually end up buying it back in the future! :D
Thats why this is my 5th time thru the MTS amps! 8)
Everything has a price tag and is replaceable for the most part.
At least in my opinion.

I'm sick in the head. I sell nothing. That said, sell it because you'll end up with a new improved version when the Ultra Curve comes out.

My rules for gear..
if it serves more than one pupose: add a point
if it is scarce and hard to replace: add a point
if it has a personal aspect to it (a gift) made by a close friend) add a point
If it is a common commodity: deduct a point
If it serves only one purpose: deduct a point
If it will be replaced with a better unit soon (because of advances in technology) deduct a point
If it can be replaced with something under warrantee: add a point
If it will be replaced with something small AND lighter: add a point.

I pretty much do the math and see if something is really staying on the team or is sub-par. And the cool stuff thats remained behind has really been worth the hassle of moving it, when and if ya move..and storing it.
Like a good clean boost pedal..your always gonna need that.
Or a Good EQ circuit..your always gonna need that.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
My rules for gear..
if it serves more than one pupose: add a point
if it is scarce and hard to replace: add a point
if it has a personal aspect to it (a gift) made by a close friend) add a point
If it is a common commodity: deduct a point
If it serves only one purpose: deduct a point
If it will be replaced with a better unit soon (because of advances in technology) deduct a point
If it can be replaced with something under warrantee: add a point
If it will be replaced with something small AND lighter: add a point.

I pretty much do the math and see if something is really staying on the team or is sub-par. And the cool stuff thats remained behind has really been worth the hassle of moving it, when and if ya move..and storing it.
Like a good clean boost pedal..your always gonna need that.
Or a Good EQ circuit..your always gonna need that.
GtrGeorge

Wow awesome guidelines. Score of +1 so I guess I'm keeping it. Thanks guys for all the input.

Thanks ..
Ive been REALLY lucky to own alot of great gear. And this way of thinking has helped alot.
ANd fwiw: Try to buy from people you trust and people who will be around. The extra 10-20 you sepnd is worth it when you have any troubles. people who know you personally, understand when you are one day out of warrantee. They belive you when you say..it came out of the box like this.
Try that at a big box store...and very often you loose more than you ever gained by a lower intial price.
And besides, keep your money local...keeping those little guys in bizness is a great idea...maybe they'll help promote your next gig with a few posters on the wall..or offer you a job every other saturday.
Alot of this bizness is based on trust..start building some NOW.

Mailman1971 said:
I sell just about EVERYTHING!
Sickness I know.....
Usually end up buying it back in the future! :D
Thats why this is my 5th time thru the MTS amps! 8)
Everything has a price tag and is replaceable for the most part.
At least in my opinion.

+1 I've been deemed a gear ***** on just about every board I frequent for over a month! :lol: I have sold and bought every piece of the MTS line and even after moving one, I still think about coming back and eventually do (like I just did when I bought yet another RM50 last week!). Only pieces of gear I know I'd have seller's remorse (plus I can't sell them due to attachment and emotional ties to the builds) are my Thorns. Can't be replaced as I don't have $4K or 12-24 months for another one! :shock:

I keep a lot of my stuff now.

Back in 87' I traded off a 83' Gibson Explorer and to this day I miss that guitar. I have played other Explorers and they just did not have the same feel my old one had.
As I write this post I am kicking myself in the *** for getting rid of it! :evil:

LrStrat...
if it makes you feel any better..I HAD an 1983 Gibson Explorere ( a rare white one with 3 P-90s stock from Gibson) and it SUCKED.
maybe your not remembering it as good as you think.
I have an Ibanez Destroer (same shape as Explorere) from 1976..and its by far a better guitar than the Gibson is/was.
Iv been lucky enough to deal with 1958-9 Explorers, and I am not blown away..to be honest. Nice..but 200k worth of nice? Nah, not the way I see it. You could buy eyesight for someone with 200k in the US.

I dunno. I spent well over a year researching amps b4 stumbling upon the MTS stuff and was nearly onboard for the Randall stuff until I found Egnater. I got a smokin deal on my M4 and can't see myself selling it.

I already flipped my RM4 and one of my Randall mods after just a few months. My school of thought is do the research and buy it right the first time. The Randall stuff is so cheap (no offense) I can justify trading and selling it. The mod bug just bit though so we'll see where that takes me...

chode...
I am big on doing the research,too...but fwiw if by research you mean reading..well the internet and pamphlets can only tell you so much. But If you mean go and hear the gear...NOW THATS WHAT I CALL RESEARCH.
Nothing else compares to hearing it with your guitar (or similar).
and also fwiw: I notice companies do a crap job of understanding what we want. Its amazing considering all the access they have to our opinions..they still basically (the large ones) build gear based upon compromise after compromise re-introducing the same sort of gear that failed for them last year. I can see it now..
"Great Tube sound" "Blistering Distortion.."
but there is always a catch,it seems (like midi implementation never really completed)...on board fx suck and can't be tweaked...weighs a ton...unavailable in my area due to non-compete contracts (!!!)...
So For years I drive every weekend out of my state and go hear eqipment I am interested in..its my hobby. So when I say I haveplayed a few hundred guitars of that kind..I AM NOT KIDDING.
You really gotta hear things to know what is being manufactured well, even if not suitable for your style of music..but high quality none-the less.
And support your local shops...I can tell you from my expereince..they know more about what they are selling than big box stores who tend to make it up on the fly.
Go hear the gear!!!
GtrGeorge