T2 or Mesa Boogie MKIV

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elementmetal

Reaction score
This question might stir up a hornets nest but i dont care because i want general opinion.

I currently have played through Randall G2 series RH200SC for the past few years, have giged plently and studio recorded with it.
Its sound is fantastic and reliability has been a bit iffy (some of you may have read my other posts).

PURELY because i love Randalls tone and ability to satisfy my needs for my tone i am looking to purchase a new amp and T2 has been high on my list.
They are available in UK from anywhere between ?890 - ?1200.

My need for the T2 (which i've tried) is
A) the sound
B) the loudness - 400watt, this is needed for me because of the headroom it offers. My G2 at 200 watt gets close to breaking up in sound because iat practice we play VERY loud and Master volume is at 3/4. I think T2 and the extra headroom would be great.

The ONLY issue I have with purchasing the T2 is its reliability, i've seen and spoken to lots of people (and shop owners who i know) who've had troubles with them and faulty batches of them etc.

Whilst the T2 is high on the list, as mentioned i have problems considering reliability.

Now, i've come across a few people flogging Mesa Boogie Mark IV heads. Yes, i know they are expensive, but i can get a much loved 2nd hand one for about ?1000, the sound is fantastic and they are very customisable etc.

My question is does anyone have any LOUDNESS experience with them?
I've played through one but only at room volume.
I've heard they are very loud for the conservative watt output they provide on paper, but would one be able to provide the volume at a metal gig?

Does any one have any experience?

Am i just being stupid considering this - should i just go for the T2?

Cheers

Well, John Petrucci plays stadiums with his Mark IV's so... :lol:

I say if you get the chance to try them both out, go for it. The MArk IV being tube you'll hear a lot more percieved volume th an with a SS of the same wattage, so there won't be a need for the massive output of the T2, but hell, Galder from Dimmu Borgir and Gus G are using those amps, so they gotta be decent :p

T2 it is after tonnes of research!

Cant help but keep looking at the V2 also, but to be honest i dont think i'd use the eq much. I pretty much dialled my tone in about 30 seconds when i tested the T2. I like the simplicity of it/rawness.

Its like a beefed up version of my G2 200w Randall head.

Thought about the Gus T2HH version but to be honest i'm not into overly distorted high mid sounds. I'm into my tight, mid scooped chug sound with a controlled amount of gain.

T2 sounds great.

1 question, will this head work and MATCH my existing Randall G2 4x12cab.

I cant remember the model of cab but its the matching cab for the 200watt G2, loaded with 4 x 12" celestions at 80watt each.

My G2 is normally connected to the cab using 2 leads (connected in stereo).

Can the T2 be connected in mono to this cab? On the back of my cab it says Mono is 8ohms and 300 watt.

Would this be fine for the T2?

Got this for sale on the "Other Classifieds" and on evilBay. Its brand new and will save you few bucks ($900 +shipping) if you intend to get a new one. Its T2HH in Snake Skin from the Factory:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Hi man

Cheers for the offer, but i'm after the standard T2 as thats what i tried, tested and loved.
That snakeskin (as cool as it is) is just a bit too loud for me also.

I'm also in UK so going to stick with tracking down a brand new standard T2 in UK in next few weeks so if i get any problems i can go straight back to the store i bought it from and they can do the chasing up if need be etc.

Cheers

Latest posts