Doug Aldrich - Evil or Divine tone from a Pete modded module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
This tone is absolutely ripping. Not sure how to best describe this tone, but it is surely unique and in a legue of it's own. I am sure most guys know what I am talking about.

Is there a Pete module mod that comes close? Would love to know!

Mike

what kind of amp are you talking about? if "doug aldrich" is the name, I haven't heard of it. Maybe posting a clip would help us help you. MTS has a module for every tone category. If you don't find it exactly, but are willing to keep an open mind, chances are you will find another tone that is a lot like it with its own character. If you can do that and have an open mind, you'll find what you want because if you find a tone that is close to what you want, Pete can probably mod it to something inspiring for ya. I know that's what he did for me. I wanted a heavy metal rythm tone BTW.

-Angel

John Suhr, Martin Golub and Cameron modded 70's 100 watt Marshalls into Marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with greenbacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KlbQTTmbn8&feature=related

A friend of mine recently had John Suhr mod a 100 watt Marshall to the specs he did for Doug. It really screams. He did the mod on 79 master volume Marshall. As I understand it, John is going to build a production version of that mod. One of the big parts to the mod is a variable depth control (3 position). It's by far the best Marshall mod I've had to chance to play.

Doug has monster tone....to me it sounds like John Sykes tone on steroids. Those steroids are a ton of rack effects IMO.

Amp wise, 70's vintage Marshalls and some Engl's will do it all with mods.
he talks vaguely about it here: http://www.eternalmelody.net/da/e/interview/interview4-e.html

Doug is listed on the home page for Voodoo Amps as using the V-Rock on the new Whitesnake album.

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/

John Sykes is a LEGEND.
I think that guys tone and chops are amazing! he never got the platinum credit he deserved for making the "Whitesnake" the breakthrough it was.
Listen to those parts on that CD..they still hold up.
I went to yutubeand listned to some Doud Aldrich...got skills..but Id have to hear more of HIM...he was just doing Sykes' solos from 1985.

Well guys, I saw Doug play last night from anbout 10 rows out, 4 Marshall heads in his rack period. And The Main one appeared to be a new Modern/ Vintage Im sure mixed in with one of his highly modded ones.
And his tone was the **** !!!
He is an awesome player on his own right, BUT , i AGREE he aint John Sykes !!! But they both are makin a lot more cheddar than 99.9 percent of us !! You agree !!!

it matters ..yeah, but so does being great at something..even when the crowd turn away. Sykes is really amazing at what he does and guys like Zak Wylde and Doug owe him alot...both of their style are essentially borrowed from John Sykes. And ,its funny...John Sykes still plays all that stuff cleaner (in his picking and articulations) than either of those guys.
So, for my money, John Sykes is the shizzle. Id like to see him on a stage with those two, I bet his playing would cut better...so much is in the hands. And PS: he invented that style 25 years ago.
maybe those guys should find their own voice on the guitar.

I laways thought of Zakk as sounding like Iommi, Ozzy, and the Allmans- with more beer added

Doug has used all kinds of mods over the years from CAE to Suhr to Cameron and others. That being said he seem to have a very close relationship w/ Mark Cameron and John Suhr.
There were talks of a signature head w/ Cameron and there are signature humbuckers w/ Suhr.

His rig is made out of three different modded Marshall heads [each w/ different mods] slaved through a Bradshaw switcher. They all go dry to a center 4x12 cab and an effected signal goes to two outside cabs. All with Greenbacks.
He also uses his signature overdrive pedal in from of the heads and an old Furman parametric EQ.

... all that to say that there isn't one Aldrich sound, there are a bunch.

I have been a "fan" since the early '90s when Bad Moon Rising released Opium Of The Masses. Doug always had killer tone ... always.

Aldrich is amazing. I'm been following him since his days in Lion. I love Sykes too, but he had his day in the sun with over-the-top effects too - Blue Murder. Still though - it's all GREAT stuff.