Good settings for a XTC module? PLEASE HELP

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svartsot

Reaction score
I just got the RM100SE and 3 modules.
Blackface - XTC - can't remember the last one..haha
I got and BC Rich Warlock with EMG81pickups..
For cabinets i got the Randall new cabinet and an ENGL cabinet..

Does anybody got any good settings for the XTC for real good metal sound.

And a good setting for the Blackface module??

Thanks to anyone who answers this topic :)

www.myspace.com/svartsot

I don't have an XTC, but the Blackface sounds great with lots of settings. Here are my current Blackface settings on my RM50B combo (all are o'clock):

Gain: 10:00
Bass: 2:00
Mid: 3:00
Treble: 11:00
Master: adjust to taste
Bright: Off

Master Settings:

Master: 2:00
Effects (reverb): 9:00
Density: 9:00
Presence: 12:00

Chad said:
I don't have an XTC, but the Blackface sounds great with lots of settings. Here are my current Blackface settings on my RM50B combo (all are o'clock):

Gain: 10:00
Bass: 2:00
Mid: 3:00
Treble: 11:00
Master: adjust to taste
Bright: Off

Master Settings:

Master: 2:00
Effects (reverb): 9:00
Density: 9:00
Presence: 12:00

Hm.. if the gain is set to 10 there will be a lot of distortion.. i need really clean and nice sound.....
any settings for that?

I've been playing a guitar with a Duncan Custom pickup in the bridge (somewhat high output) and it still sounds clean. So if you are using lower output pickups, then it should defintely be clean there as well.

But it really depends on how loud you are playing the amp.

Just play around with the settings...I'm sure you'll probably find something you like.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I bought my Blackface module pre-modded. If you have an older version that hasn't been modified, then you're probably hearing more distortion than I am with my module.

I just bought it from new......
the whole top and modules cost me a lot and I'm pretty pissed that I cant get any cool sound out of it.

Does your module have a black stripe across the top where the knob labels are? If so, then it is probably pre-modded. If not, check this out:

http://grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-clean-modifications.html

If that doesn't help, then I dunno what to tell ya. People do have different opinions on what is and isn't good tone. I personally think my Blackface module sounds awesome.

My XTC settings, I have a EBMM Petrucci 7 string with dimarzios.

gain: 4 o'clock
treb: 3:30
mid: 10 o'clock
bass: 11 o'clock
master: noon
density: 2 o'clock
presence: 4 o'clock

I also am running this module in a RM100 Combo with those G-75-T speakers or something...

cody

my xtc setting (thing mids!)

gain : little more then 4 oclock
Bass: 12 oclock
Mids: Little more then 4 oclock
Treble: 2 oclock
Level: 12
Master: 12
Presence: 1 oclock (maybe a little less)
Density is at 12

I use a jackson dinky with string thru bridge and a PRS HFS pickup for my bridge. I also run a boss compressor to get it a little more heated with out being buzzy. My guitar sounds really dark so this is somwhat bright for most people but give it a shot

Don't forget about the settings database at www.grailtone.com

Try keeping the gain way down (9 oclock) and the tone controls about noonish.

Svartsot; I'm surprized you are having trouble getting a good sound out of the XTC and Blackface modules. These are the two modules I use 95% of time myself. XTC for distortion and Blackface for clean. My RM100 is at practice so I can't tell you the exact settings right now but I do know that I run into noise issues with most high gain modules with the gain setting at anything over 2:00 O'clock max. This is at live band loud volumes. I can turn up the gain more if playing at much lower volumes. On the Blackface module I'm pretty sure my gain is less than 12:00 O'clock. The Bass/Mid/Treble settings will vary depending on your guitar/pickup combination. I play mostly Jacksons with Duncan Screamin' Demons, Distortion, or EMG 81's, and occasionally Dimarzio Super Distortions or Super 3. All sound good through the RM100.

First off, I let my Lynch Box warm up for about 10 minutes before I play. I find that makes a noticeable differance - and it's better for the amp. If you are practicing or just just playing alone and want/need to keep it at low volumes most of the time like me (I live in a condo), I suggest the following settings for a good rythm/lead tone. Keep in mind my guitar has EMG pickups and unlike most guitars with the 81/85 combo - the Washburn Face Eraser has the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. Also as it's been said many times before in this forum - tone is subjective.

Master @ 10:30
Presence @ 2:00
Density @ 2:00
Gain @ 3:00
Bass @ 4:00
Middle @ 12:00
Treble @ 3:00
Level @ 8:30
Bright Switch - Off

Keep your Master higher than your Level versus the other way around - that way the tubes are running nice & hot. That's the tone I like. I see a lot of guys drop the bass and crank the mids & highs and it just sounds too processed to me - it lacks that "Growl" & it sounds like walking into Guitar Center after 3:00 pm in the afternoon on a weekday when all the high school kids are in there playing import Scheters out of tune through solid state Crate amps - oh the pain!

for an example of the sound i have in the settings database check out

www.myspace.com/turokmusic

in the song haunted my guitar is the one playing the sustained notes in the start of the song. The two guitars are banked hard left and hard right so you'll be able to figure out which speaker my sound is coming through by that. The other speaker is a triple rec through roadking cab and emgs.

-hope that helps with a good metal